UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer mel1s@
Observer

Serial communication Zybo Z7-20

Hi,

I want to make serial communication between Zybo Z7 and PC and they are connected using USB cable. (USB plugged into PC and micro USB plugged in UART PROG pin on Zybo Z7).

The device is recognized on /dev/ttyUSB0 port (Ubuntu 16.04). In addition, I am using Vivado and SDK 2018.2.

When I open putty as hyperterminal on this port, it is black screen with green cursor?

Can somebody suggest me solution for this problem?

Regards,

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Serial communication Zybo Z7-20

Have you the uart enabled in your zynq ps config in vivado? 

Do you have the bsp stdin/our set to the expected uart in SDK. (Right click on the bsp in SDK, and select board support packages and then in standalone, set the stdin/out here.

is the baud set correctly? It should be 115200

have you the correct port selected?

0 Kudos
Observer mel1s@
Observer

UART is enabled in zynq ps. Baud is 115200 and correct port is selected.

BSP settings are in the attachment.

Screenshot from 2018-07-09 15-22-17.png
0 Kudos

Hi @mel1s@,

Did you configure the baudrate properly on both sides? You can try to select an slower baudrate on the host and see if you see any garbage as well (slower rates tends to be able to see some characters on a system transmiting faster).

Regards
Ibai

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Observer mel1s@
Observer

Hi @ibaie,

I configured baud rate on both sides (in putty terminal and in zynq proccessing block) but now it is giving me unreadable characters.

In my program I am using Xil_printf function.

I found this but it is not providing me solution.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/unreadable-characters-in-the-SDK-console-window/td-p/762115

Regards,

Melisa

0 Kudos

Hi mel1s@,

The fact of getting "unreadable characters" means that your target is transmitting information and you are reciving in the host as well. Definitivelly this seems to be a baudrate issue, ensure again that you are using the same (be careful with the amount of zeros).

Another exercise might be also to playaround with baudrates in the host side to check if you can reach a number where you read properly the serial interface. It might be that for some clocking configuration issue you are getting the wrong baudrate in the target eventhough you think you have been configuring it properly.

Regards

Ibai

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos