UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Simulate PL+PS bare metal in SDK without board

Jump to solution

I have found many similar questions and still can not understand if this is possible, and if it is, how to do it.

I have a complex PL design but all the inputs/outputs are connected to the PS, so there's a lot I can see on the timing diagrams when simulating in Vivado. This would be a night mare to evaluate proper functionality of the design.

Instead, I would like to run/debug the simulation in SDK and see the debug messages that would be much more "interpretable" than timing diagrams - this would be a good indicator of how the system functions. Since I have no board at the time, I was hoping that there would be a way to peform debug simulation in SDK as if it was connected to a board. I know it would not be the exact representation of hardware, but should provide a good idea of the general flow and functionality of the design.

Please, tell me what would be the closest solution to this problem: PL + PS + bare metal + no board.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Simulate PL+PS bare metal in SDK without board

Jump to solution

Hi @naz_rb 

Although your use case is technically possible is quite complex and definitively out of Xilinx support. The PS emulation side can be done using QEMU, and actually there is a Xilinx QEMU user guide to provide guideline on how to use it to emulate the Zynq or ZynqMP PS.

In this document you can also find a chapter dedicated to Co-Simulation, which is your use case. As noted in the document usually the hardware side emulation is done using a SystemC simulator (not the integrated Vivado simulator) so unless you are experienced with those tools I think it might be quite hard to do.

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @naz_rb 

Although your use case is technically possible is quite complex and definitively out of Xilinx support. The PS emulation side can be done using QEMU, and actually there is a Xilinx QEMU user guide to provide guideline on how to use it to emulate the Zynq or ZynqMP PS.

In this document you can also find a chapter dedicated to Co-Simulation, which is your use case. As noted in the document usually the hardware side emulation is done using a SystemC simulator (not the integrated Vivado simulator) so unless you are experienced with those tools I think it might be quite hard to do.

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

@ibaie  Not exactly what I was hoping for, but the answer accepted. I think many people would appreciate if Xilinx provided an integrated emulator for simulating PL+PS in a more straight forrward way.

0 Kudos