Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Software development for Zynq 7000 under Eclipse IDE

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am going to develop a C language software for the ARM Cortex A9 in Zynq 7000. My intention is to use Eclipse IDE for this. My question is whether it is possible. If so is there any tutorial to get the whole toolchain (compiler and so on) up and running. Thanks in advance.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @Steven 

The decision might take sense but I'm not sure why you are not doing the same using Xilinx SDK. I mean, usually hardware and system designers would focus on Vivado and software developers on the SDK.

The potential issue with using pure Eclipse IDE (with CDT plugin included)  is that you are missing some of the capabilities provided by Xilinx tools:

1. Hardware platform project: Is quite useful for debugging purposes as it provides the TCL file to initialize the PS on a debug session. Also is used in the BSP platform generation.
  2. BSP project: You will need to add the xilinx libraries manually to your project as there will no be any BSP type project on your eclipse
  3. Additional tools: FPGA programmig tool, Xilinx debugger....

I'm not saying that it does not take any sense to use pure Eclipse, but I think is really for advance users and only for specific use cases rather than something generally useful.

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @Steven 

Do you mean that you are planning to use "stock" Eclipse IDE rather than using Xilinx SDK or Vitis? Using pure Eclipse is possible but I don't think there is any documentation about it. In general you will need to use it always with the CDT plugging (C development) and then use Xilinx repository to get the embedded sw drivers and libraries.

Regards

Ibai
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

ibaie thank you for your reaction. Yes, you are correct I would like to use Eclipse IDE instead of Xilinx SDK or Vitis. The idea behind this decision is to separate the software development from the development for the programmable logic. Do you see any potentional problems in this decision?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @Steven 

The decision might take sense but I'm not sure why you are not doing the same using Xilinx SDK. I mean, usually hardware and system designers would focus on Vivado and software developers on the SDK.

The potential issue with using pure Eclipse IDE (with CDT plugin included)  is that you are missing some of the capabilities provided by Xilinx tools:

1. Hardware platform project: Is quite useful for debugging purposes as it provides the TCL file to initialize the PS on a debug session. Also is used in the BSP platform generation.
  2. BSP project: You will need to add the xilinx libraries manually to your project as there will no be any BSP type project on your eclipse
  3. Additional tools: FPGA programmig tool, Xilinx debugger....

I'm not saying that it does not take any sense to use pure Eclipse, but I think is really for advance users and only for specific use cases rather than something generally useful.

Regards

Ibai

View solution in original post