Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhane
Participant
Participant

Strange unreliable serial console output in SDK

Jump to solution

I'm trying to run a very simple test program on my MicroZed board and seeing some odd behavior out of xil_printf().  My program is supposed to print "Launching register test software" at the beginning of each run.  Below is a screenshot of the SDK serial console after several runs:

screen.png

What in the world?  Anyone know what's going on here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jhane
Participant
Participant

I recreated the whole project and made sure to get the most recent board support files from the Avnet website (I had previously been using the "rev d" board presets that ship with Vivado).  Serial IO seems to be working all right now.  I tried applying the new board presets to my existing project and it still acted strange, so I'm not sure which thing fixed it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
hbucher
Scholar
Scholar

@jhane Try using Putty as a serial console client. That eliminates many moving parts of this problem.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
jhane
Participant
Participant

Just tried some runs connected to PuTTY.  First run gave this output:

>Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanching r

The second run printed nothing at all.  The third run printed this: "LauncLaunching register test software."

So that eliminates the SDK serial console as the problematic element.

Some more information: I'm programming the FPGA with a bit file over JTAG through SDK, then using the in-system debugger to run the software.  My Vivado version is 2017.3.

0 Kudos
jhane
Participant
Participant

I tried some runs connected to PuTTY and got output like this:

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanching r

LauncLaunching register test software.

So the problem's not the SDK serial console, but something's wrong.

More info: I am using Vivado 2017.3.  I'm programming the FPGA with a bit file through SDK, then using the in-system debugger to run the software.

0 Kudos
hbucher
Scholar
Scholar

@jhane This is 99% of the time a speed issue. What is the board? Are you using microblaze through a Zynq or uart lite?

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
0 Kudos
jhane
Participant
Participant

It's a MicroZed with an XC7Z010 on it.  No Microblaze; I'm just using the embedded ARM processor and its UART 1 peripheral.  Place and Route reports no timing failures.

0 Kudos
hbucher
Scholar
Scholar

@jhane  Can you make sure you are configuring Putty with 8-N-1 and baud rate 115200?

0 Kudos
jhane
Participant
Participant

Yes. Those are my settings.

0 Kudos
hbucher
Scholar
Scholar

@jhane What I would do - create a minimal project for the Zynq then launch SDK, create a Hello World project. Do all over.

If it works then you know it is a problem with your old project and not a hardware issue.

http://www.vitorian.com/x1/archives/599

I have seen my share of cases where the project files get corrupted and it is very hard to debug.

jhane
Participant
Participant

I recreated the whole project and made sure to get the most recent board support files from the Avnet website (I had previously been using the "rev d" board presets that ship with Vivado).  Serial IO seems to be working all right now.  I tried applying the new board presets to my existing project and it still acted strange, so I'm not sure which thing fixed it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos