UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor phytebunk
Visitor

Sub-optimal placement for a clock-capable IO pin and MMCM pair

Jump to solution

Dear forum,

trying to generate the bitstream for my project I get the "Sub-optimal placement for a clock-capable IO pin and MMCM pair" error. Earlyer I used the FPGA with internal clock (bitstream generation worked fine), now I want to use an external clock via pin C15 (MRCC) and got this error. Unfortunately I wasn't able to solve it on my own.

As the error msg informs about the opportunity using following constraint I expected the problem to be in the belonging net. "set_property CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE FALSE [get_nets myBD_i/clk_wiz_0/inst/clk_in1_myBD_clk_wiz_0_0]". So I opened the schematic (see pic below) and inspected the properties for "myclk_50MHz", IBUF and MMCME2_ADV. The clock region was for all three the same: X0Y2. So what could be the problem if they are all in the same clock region?

Thanks!

plan.PNG

Hardware:

-xc7a100tcsg324-1

complete error-msg:

[Place 30-575] Sub-optimal placement for a clock-capable IO pin and MMCM pair. If this sub optimal condition is acceptable for this design, you may use the CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE constraint in the .xdc file to demote this message to a WARNING. However, the use of this override is highly discouraged. These examples can be used directly in the .xdc file to override this clock rule.
	< set_property CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE FALSE [get_nets myBD_i/clk_wiz_0/inst/clk_in1_myBD_clk_wiz_0_0] >

myBD_i/clk_wiz_0/inst/clkin1_ibufg (IBUF.O) is locked to IOB_X0Y125
	myBD_i/clk_wiz_0/inst/mmcm_adv_inst (MMCME2_ADV.CLKIN1) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on MMCME2_ADV_X0Y2

The above error could possibly be related to other connected instances. Following is a list of 
	all the related clock rules and their respective instances.

Clock Rule: rule_mmcm_bufg
	Rule Description: An MMCM driving a BUFG must be placed on the same half side (top/bottom) of the device
	myBD_i/clk_wiz_0/inst/mmcm_adv_inst (MMCME2_ADV.CLKFBOUT) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on MMCME2_ADV_X0Y2
	myBD_i/clk_wiz_0/inst/clkf_buf (BUFG.I) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFGCTRL_X0Y31

Rule Description: An MMCM driving a BUFG must be placed on the same half side (top/bottom) of the device
	myBD_i/clk_wiz_0/inst/mmcm_adv_inst (MMCME2_ADV.CLKOUT0) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on MMCME2_ADV_X0Y2
	myBD_i/clk_wiz_0/inst/clkout1_buf (BUFG.I) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFGCTRL_X0Y30

myBD_i/clk_wiz_0/inst/mmcm_adv_inst (MMCME2_ADV.CLKOUT1) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on MMCME2_ADV_X0Y2
	myBD_i/clk_wiz_0/inst/clkout2_buf (BUFG.I) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFGCTRL_X0Y29

myBD_i/clk_wiz_0/inst/mmcm_adv_inst (MMCME2_ADV.CLKOUT2) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on MMCME2_ADV_X0Y2
	myBD_i/clk_wiz_0/inst/clkout3_buf (BUFG.I) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFGCTRL_X0Y28

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Guide avrumw
Guide

Re: Sub-optimal placement for a clock-capable IO pin and MMCM pair

Jump to solution

Pin C15 of this device is the N side of an MRCC pair. Only the P side (D15) can be used as a single ended clock capable pin.

This is what is causing your problem.

If you cannot move the pin on your board, you will have to use CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE=FALSE which will result in sub-optimal timing on the clock - notably, any kind of interface that uses this clock as a reference will be significantly harder to get to meet timing.

Avrum

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

Jump to solution
When you created your clock module in the wizard, what input buffer type did you select ?

have you selected a Clock capable input pin to drive the MMCM ?
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Visitor phytebunk
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. I selected "Single ended clock capable pin" as input and I didn't insert any buffer manually between clock in of the clocking wizard and the input. Should I insert a buffer between Input and Clocking wizard or select e.g. "Global buffer" in the Wizard?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Guide avrumw
Guide

Jump to solution

Pin C15 of this device is the N side of an MRCC pair. Only the P side (D15) can be used as a single ended clock capable pin.

This is what is causing your problem.

If you cannot move the pin on your board, you will have to use CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE=FALSE which will result in sub-optimal timing on the clock - notably, any kind of interface that uses this clock as a reference will be significantly harder to get to meet timing.

Avrum

View solution in original post

Visitor phytebunk
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thank you!
0 Kudos