UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant schneemann79
Participant

SysAceSelfTestExample FAILED in SDK13.1

Jump to solution

Hi there,

for more than two days I'm struggling with an strange error with SDK 13.1 on a ML510. The problem first was that I was not able to access the CF card from the FPGA. Running the peripheral self test failed. I could debug the problem down to the following point:

In the sysace_v2_00_a/xsysace_l.c file the definition for XPAR_XSYSACE_MEM_WIDTH could not be resolved by the SDK. Therefore the directive XPAR_XSYSACE_MEM_WIDTH == 16 evaluates as 0 which is definitely wrong, as XPAR_XSYSACE_MEM_WIDTH is clearly defined in my xparameters.h to be 16. If I do a right-click on the variable and say "open declaration" the declaration in xparameters.h is correctly localized and opened.

Does someone else has also encountered this behaviour?? I never had a problem with the sysace driver sources in previous revisions of the SDK.

Please help :smileysad: i cannot find a workaround.

marco

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Participant schneemann79
Participant

Re: SDK BUG FOUND: SysAceSelfTestExample FAILED in SDK13.1 due to strange behavior in xsysace_l.c

Jump to solution

I have to apologize or my error description above. Most of it was wrong. I was expecting that the preprocessor symbols were correctly resolved in the BSP project when you browse the driver sources. Apparently they are only defined at compile time from another source. When you create a own software project, all symbols are defined in the symbols section of the project properties. So, can someone tell me please, were to find the preprocessor symbols used for the BSP project??

I could solve the problem with the faulty Sysace access in the meantime, but I have to admit it was a real strange (typical) Xilinx issue.

I went through the typical toolflow:

- Create ISE project

- Add new XMP source

- Set up XMP project with BSB

- Close XMP

- Generate HDL Toplevel source via ISE

- generate programming file

Everything was working fine, except the sysace controller could not be addressed.

Today I found the problem: Apperantly ISE  expects an own ucf-file. WIthout the ucf-file being included seperately, ISE sets the Sysace_Clk_pin to a wrong pad, the rest of the IOs seems to be placed right.

This was real annoying, as with the toolflow described above, ISE gives an error when you try to add a ucf-file. It says a ucf-file was already found in the project (the one from the XMP), nevertheless it is not evaluated correctly during implementation. To solve the problem I first had to remove the top-level HDL, add XMP again, add ucf-file now and finaly create a top-level HDL file.

4 Replies
Participant schneemann79
Participant

SDK BUG FOUND: SysAceSelfTestExample FAILED in SDK13.1 due to strange behavior in xsysace_l.c

Jump to solution

Hi there,

a short update as I could get a little nearer to the main problem.

When compiling the sysace driver sources with SDK 13.1, the preprocessor includes xparameters.h. The developer of the code seems to have assumed the included file is the automatic generated xparamters.h from the main include folder -  instead a copy of xparamters.h from the common_v1_00_a/src folder is included! I could verify this when I defined XPAR_XSYSACE_MEM_WIDTH in that file. Then the directive is correctly evaluated. In my opinion this is definetely a bug, and a Xilinx guy should have a look and supply a clear workaround.

I am pretty sure, this problem is the reason for several Sysace access issues already discussed here in the forum.

Marco

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: SDK BUG FOUND: SysAceSelfTestExample FAILED in SDK13.1 due to strange behavior in xsysace_l.c

Jump to solution

xparameters.h is automatically generated based on the options selected in the system configuration. This file will be available in <BSP>\include\xparameters.h and should neither be modified nor updated manually.

Can you post your MHS snippet of the systemACE peripheral?

0 Kudos
Participant schneemann79
Participant

Jump to solution

I have to apologize or my error description above. Most of it was wrong. I was expecting that the preprocessor symbols were correctly resolved in the BSP project when you browse the driver sources. Apparently they are only defined at compile time from another source. When you create a own software project, all symbols are defined in the symbols section of the project properties. So, can someone tell me please, were to find the preprocessor symbols used for the BSP project??

I could solve the problem with the faulty Sysace access in the meantime, but I have to admit it was a real strange (typical) Xilinx issue.

I went through the typical toolflow:

- Create ISE project

- Add new XMP source

- Set up XMP project with BSB

- Close XMP

- Generate HDL Toplevel source via ISE

- generate programming file

Everything was working fine, except the sysace controller could not be addressed.

Today I found the problem: Apperantly ISE  expects an own ucf-file. WIthout the ucf-file being included seperately, ISE sets the Sysace_Clk_pin to a wrong pad, the rest of the IOs seems to be placed right.

This was real annoying, as with the toolflow described above, ISE gives an error when you try to add a ucf-file. It says a ucf-file was already found in the project (the one from the XMP), nevertheless it is not evaluated correctly during implementation. To solve the problem I first had to remove the top-level HDL, add XMP again, add ucf-file now and finaly create a top-level HDL file.

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
I have the same problem. When I update my Hardware in XPS and export XML description file into SDK there is no access to new defines in xparameters.h. In fact, they are present in the file, but could not be found by SDK ("Symbol xxx could not be resolved"). Versions of tool is 14.5.
To resolve this issue I should re-create Software Design, which is not very convenient
0 Kudos