UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant ehenciak
Participant

TEMAC 1000Mbps issues

Hi all,

I'm having another problem with the TEMAC :-)!  Here's the setup :

1> Top level logic wraps an EDK "PowerPC" system (i.e. I instantiate the EDK project in ISE).

2> The device is a Virtex4 FX12 on a Memec mini-module.  I am using the LocaLink FIFO <-> TEMAC component.

3> I have to admit I am doing something strange.  I added a component called "break" to the Tx side

of the local link bus.  This allows my custom logic to stream UDP data directly into the MAC w/o CPU intervention.

4> Tools : I have tried the following with ISE/EDK10.1.1 as well as the "final" releases of ISE/EDK 9.2.

Now, I know #3 might alarm some people, but this is a known working widget I created.  I had it working on a Virtex5

TEMAC/LLINK (this system was Microblaze based though).  To test this "split", I had the user logic path stream UDP

encapsulated video while Webserver was running.  This worked just fine.  I don't think it is the "split" (I *really* wish Xilinx

would support something like this, but the person my FAE put me in contact with had not a clue what I was trying to do...

I have seen others request this feature as well).  For a test, another engineer is porting my design to a Virtex 5 FX

dev. kit.  I pray the V5 FXs aren't the disaster I saw with earlier Virtex 4 FXs. I still wake up at night sweating getting that

PCIe core working in 2005...what was supposed to take 2 months wound up mutating into an 8 month bleeding ulcer.

On the Virtex 4, what I am seeing is my ethernet LEDs flickering on both the mini module and the host, but it seems that

the host is not receiving a single packet!  Etherreal (in promiscuous mode) is not reporting any CRC errors or anything. I have to

think that something is being lost due to some unreported timing error or something.  The timing reports from ISE indicate that 

everything is OK.

Another disturbing thing....Chipscope is not working in this setup.  I can insert the cores and probe signals, etc....but when I 

go to look at any waveforms, all signals are low.  I can set the trigger to '1' on a single signal, hit "wait for trigger", and 

get a display with all zeroes :)!  Something is goofed up there.

One other question...in the Virtex 4, is the local link bus running @ the PLB frequency, or is it running at the TEMAC 

frequency?  On Microblaze, it was running at PLB frequency?  In my timing report, it looks as if the 125MHz GTX clock 

has a rather light load (i.e. it seems to only be driving the MAC and nothing more).

Anyone ever see something similar....even when not using the "split"?

Ed

PS, Again, I really wish someone @ Xilinx could hear me out regarding this "split" I am talking about. I'd be willing to send my peripheral to someone there who might be able to help....it'd really give FPGAs an advantage over standalone processor based 

systems (i.e. Atmel, etc.) since you can get some significant bandwidth and still have the CPU handle TCP/IP related stuff.

All Xilinx would really need to do is modify the TCL script for the LLTEMAC software generation...that's all.  Make it a "use

at your own risk core" since you'd still need an arbiter, etc. to drive the LL bus externally.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Participant ehenciak
Participant

Re: TEMAC 1000Mbps issues

Quick update.

As a sanity test, I downloaded a WebServer reference design from Avnet for this V4FX12 mini module.   

What's strange is that the simple "hello" screen on the console indicates that the link is set to 10Mbps.

The link LEDs indicate 1Gbps.

Now, if I try to access the server in 1Gbps "mode", nothing happens.

If I force my PC to 10Mbps, I can access the Webserver.

So, I know my cables, etc. are OK.  

Another engineer is having problems @ 1000Mbps with known working designs that used 9.1, but

broke after migrating to 9.2 and beyond.  If he forces the mode to 10/100, we can get data transfers.  However, my problem is that

I typically stream video over ethernet, so 100Mbps isn't enough.   Moreover, I love how resource utilization is 

growing with each release of the tools!!!  

Another equally frustrating thing is that I have an older design where I directly instantiate the

MAC myself in my VHDL (as opposed to using this rotten EDK nonsense).  I don't configure a 

single thing in the MAC aside from Coregen settings....that design works fine on the V4FX12

mini module.

Has anyone seen anything remotely like this?!?!?!  This is downright strange.  It's like everything says that

Gig-e mode is OK, but as soon as I go to use ethernet, it is almost as if nothing is happening for the most part

regardless of what the LEDs are telling me!  Is there a chance there is some kind of bad setting in the MAC

or something?  I did see that the Broadcom PHY is used on the mini module while Xilinx boards like to use

Marvell.  The PHY I like the most is the National one on the S3DSP board as you can get data for that one

without a silly NDA....however, we even see 1000Mbps issues on that using the soft core GEMAC (that might

be related to crossover stuff though....I haven't dug into that one as this V4 is in my critical path).

Man this stuff is frustrating anymore :-)!  I spend more time fighting with tools than I do my designs.  My SOPC 

buidler friends are not seeing 1/10th the issues I am seeing with this EDK based garbage....and this is coming

from a Xilinx user of 10 years that downright HATED FPGAs @ the other end of the alphabet until recently.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I can answer atleast part of your question: The lwIP autodetect code only works for Marvell PHY's on Xilinx dev boards. If you use a different PHY, then you have to tell lwIP what the speed of the connection is using a parameter. So you should be able to tell lwIP that your speed is 1G, and it should work at 1G. Check lwIP documentation for phy_link_speed parameter.

0 Kudos
Participant ehenciak
Participant

Thanks.  Unfortunately, I searched for that string in the 3.00.a verison of the document and nothing came up.

The strange thing is that I have hardware that handles these transfers (lwip is not needed) and it will not work on

Virtex 4s using EDK/ISE 9.2 and 10.1 now.  With 9.1 everything seems OK, so I guess the initial values in the MAC that

was used in 9.1 are what is needed.  My problem now is that I don't have access to 9.1 at all.  This is actually impacting all

of our projects that use these Virtex 4 FXs.

Can't Xilinx provide a changelog for each revision of their cores???  I don't mean a hidden one where I have to wade through

search results....I mean a link to a changelog in the documentation or something with MEANINGFUL descriptions of anything 

different.  

Message Edited by ehenciak on 06-30-2008 09:41 AM
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

MDIO baby learn your phy chip its has delay registers(RGMII) download and print the data sheet.  Also if you are going to use Lwip you need 10.1 Lwip likes to crash every 10-26 hours in 9.1 (I used TRECK).  Stay away from anything that Xilinx Calls Auto because AUTO never works unless you completely match the one test case that xilinx created.  I have 4 phy interfaces and believe me AUTO never worked and as for Gig using RGMII don't focus on that until you get everything else working on your board(run with MII it just works on every build).  Every time you make a huge change to something else you need to recalculate the delay setting(Or try planahead). Once you have everything working change to RGMII if you have GMII then it should just work on every build once you figure out MDIO.  AVNET along with Xilinx have many example on how to write to the PHY using MDIO.

Big Picture

Learn MDIO cold 

GMII/MII IT JUST WORKS

RGMII SUCKS and if you used this interface wait until you finish making changes.  But it will work! 

Cheers,
Bill Tomb
0 Kudos
Newbie wbrunk

Hi,

I am using the mini-module as well and observed similar problems when switching to 1000 Mbps. With 100 Mbps all my tests (including the Memec TEMAC_TX application) worked fine. What scared me most was the fact the temperature of the PHY increased within a few seconds dramatically when connect to a 1000 Mbps network. In fact, you could burn your finger when touching it. Cooling it down using some cooling spray made it work again, but the documentation of the Broadcom PHY did not mention that water cooling is required for 1000 Mbps operation...

We repeated these test with 3 different mini-modules, 2 different baseboards, 2 different host pcs, using a hub: always the same result, the PHY gets hot as soon as the 3 LEDs indicate 1000 Mbps link speed and 20 seconds later the frame transmission fails.

May be somebody at Broadcom has an idea?

Regards

Wolfgang

0 Kudos
Participant ehenciak
Participant

Thanks for the replies.  OK, now I know I am not going crazy :-)! I had this same project running in a Virtex 5 w/o issues (only 

difference was Microblaze vs. PPC + the V4 TEMAC vs. V5 TEMAC (and Broadcom vs. Marvell PHYs, but I didn't have to run any

init code at all on the V5).  

For the PHY configuration (MDIO) ... I cannot get access to Broadcom data until tomorrow, so I am screwed there for now :)!

As far as the Broadcom PHYs getting hot....try touching the Virtex 4 when all guns are blazing logic wise and you are clocking the

PowerPC @ 200MHz :-)! The Broadcom PHY is probably getting hot seeing that the entire package is the die itself :)!  Moreover, 

it isn't like gigabit transceivers aren't exactly power friendly.

As a test, I used a slightly modified version of Webserver to run on my platform and it worked, so I now need to take Webserver's

software and merge it with mine.  Again, on the Virtex 5, I didn't have to initialize the MAC or the PHY....it just worked. 

Also, I did a project where I instantiate the V4 TEMAC in HDL (i.e. no EDK) and drove packets in directly....that worked w/o any

initialization software as well.  That was back in 9.1 though.

I'll post what I see next...this is frustrating, but Webserver shed some light on this issue :)!

Ed

0 Kudos
Newbie wbrunk

Hi Ed,

at least I found a 'solution' for all of my problems. Everything works fine now with the TEMAC in 1000Mbps. Have a look on the attached photo. I know. it looks ridiculous and of course it is ridiculous, but adding a small cooler and a fan made the system work. I really can not believe that this the only solution, but it works! I do not loose any more frames and all my applications seem to work OK.

Regards

Wolfgang

cool.jpg
0 Kudos
Participant ehenciak
Participant

I am not a board expert, but I have designed quite a lot of ethernet realted stuff in FPGAs over the years :-)!

I wonder if there is not enough copper plane area to sink all of the heat that the PHY throws off.  It really

does get hot!!!!  We're running in 10/100 mode now just to save power and the device's life :)! Try touching the

Virtex 4 as well!!!!  I can almost light a cigarette off it when running with all guns blazing.

I still cannot drive the local link interface with my custom logic (again, my logic worked fantastic in 9.1, but 

flat out doesn't work in later versions of the tools).  The downright bloody crazy thing is that I can't even 

get chipscope to capture what is occuring on the bus!!!!  I can see the nets I'd like to see using the core inserter, but when I 

go to capture those nets, everything is returned as zeroes regardless of what I use for triggers, etc.  In fact,

I can set a trigger bit to a '1' and Chipscope triggers for some reason...all bits are still 0s....neat tool, huh :)!

It's fun being a debug engineer for Xilinx these days, isn't it?  Working for free is fantastic.  On any given 

project, I seem to spend about 75% of my time fighting with these now horrible tools, and about 25%

getting real work done.  Moreover, you can't even attempt to innovate anymore without breaking some 

bloated, precanned, underverified and non-regression tested IP!!!  Yeah, I know I can file a webcase, but

when I asked about the ethernet split a while ago, I was told that it wasn't supported....great, I cannot use

the FPGA fabric to accelerate packet transfers (on the Tx side only....looking at lwip, Tx packet transfer irqs are

masked anyway)....what good is it to have an FPGA then?

Oh well, time to implement a horrible software/FIFO hack to work around this issue.  5 weeks of runaround has been more

than enough.  Maybe I'll just upgrade to ISE/EDK9.1 from 10.1 and be done with this.

I hate doing cheesy hacks to get crap to work, but that seems to be the way of the world anymore.

0 Kudos
Newbie kepler2

lwIP only works for Marvell Alaska PHYs because the vanilla initialization code uses Alaska-specific registers.  XILINX has a fix in-hand to make auto-detection work on AVNET mini-modules with Broadcom PHYs.  The fix does not use chip-specific registers for speed detection.  I thought there was supposed to be at least an answer record to allow folks to pick up the fix.  Submit a case and ask for the Broadcom PHY link speed auto-negotiation fix.  I used it successfully on a Virtex-4 mini-module project about six months ago ... and it seemed rock solid under EDK 9.2i.  I have not checked to see if the same fix can be applied to EDK 10.1 projects.
0 Kudos

Hello, I have exactly the same problem. But for me it's for a big industrial project. I'm in the **bleep**. Do you have a solution? Please help me. Why 1 Gb don't work on minimodule ?

0 Kudos
Observer jwoithe
Observer

I have an Avnet FX12 minimodule running at 1G speeds and that side of things hasn't presented any problems.  Perhaps the minimodules are shipping with a later revision of the broadcom chip which isn't as susceptable to heat-related problems as earlier versions.  That seems a bit odd though.  I have certainly had my hardware pushing out 1Gbps for hours on end and although it and the FPGA gets hot it hasn't frozen.  This is under EDK 10.1.3.  I didn't have to do anything overly special to get the PHY to work at 1G either - for initialisation I think I'm only calling xemac_add(), netif_set_default(), and netif_set_up().  lwip is set up with a single call to lwip_init().  If using lwip you may want to try the 1.3.0 version which ships with EDK 10.1 since I've heard that in some situations that can work better than the older 1.2.0-based version which is utilised by default.  Note that lwip won't sustain 1Gbps throughput - but that's another issue.

In terms of driving the TEMAC directly using a custom locallink implementation you may want to take a look at 

http://http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/message?board.id=EMBEDDED&thread.id=404

Initially I was experiencing similar symptoms to those described in thread 404.  The solutions outlined in the fifth post fixed things for me and I subsequently I verified that like others only the second one was really needed in my case.  Other posts in this thread suggest that things worked without this hack in earlier EDK versions and that it only became necessary in 10.1.  I can't personally verify this, but it seems consistent with what has been described in earlier posts of the present thread.  I do not have EDK 11.1 so I don't know if the problem has been addressed in that release.

I realise this might not necessarily solve the issues pertaining to the present topic but I offer it in case it is of assistance in some way.

Regards

jonathan

0 Kudos

For this problem we think it’s a timing metastability between PHY and the FPGA. Because sometimes, we can use the minimodule in 1 gigabit with light EDK configuration Synthesize. Maybe the timing constraints in ucf file from Avnet are bad. How can I solve the problem. Can I put the TEMAC a little bit slower to stabilize the liaison?
0 Kudos
Observer jwoithe
Observer

I have seen it written that the Locallink interface is extremely picky about timing.  If your custom locallink state machine isn't quite right that might give rise to the things you're seeing.  Having said that, I followed the spec in sp006.pdf and the notes in the previously linked forum thread and have had no trouble getting reliable communication at 1G speeds.  In fact my development system has been sitting next to me all day today and has sustained over 900Mbps for nearly 8 hours now.

I can't comment on timing troubles between the FPGA and the PHY.  Our project uses the Avnet minimodule which takes care of these issues for us, so as a result I've never had to look into such things myself.  Depending on your PCB layout and routing within the FPGA perhaps there is a timing issue.  I suspect it will be difficult to pin down though - you'll probably need a logic analyser or mixed-signal CRO along with the data sheet of the PHY that you're using in your design.  You'll then have to compare what the datasheet says it needs with what your system does and see if you can see any glitches.  It could take a while to track down.  Before going to that extent though I wonder whether it's worth thoroughly checking your locallink logic out since any timing glitch there could also render the TEMAC "dead".

I don't believe it's possible to slow the TEMAC down unless you run the entire link at a slower speed (eg: 100Mbps).  Even then though the logic will probably run at full speed so you might not prove anything.  You also can't slow the TEMAC clock down or else the data it puts out onto the wire will be out of spec.

Regards

jonathan

0 Kudos