UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer fchpj
Observer

Time quota of thread in Xilkernel

What is time quota for each thread with same priority when using SCHED_PRIO or SCHED_RR in Xilkernel?

1 ms or configurable?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Time quota of thread in Xilkernel

Check the documentation for systmr_interval:

PARAM name = systmr_interval, type = int, default = 10, desc = "Specify the time interval for each kernel tick (in milliseconds). This controls the CPU budget for each process. If the timer is fit_timer, then this parameter is automatically determined"; 

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all..

I have problem regarding this issue.

I use microblaze and FIT as the system timer device but the it seems like the system interrupt does not function. I used PIT before (with power pc) and the threads were switching well. I have connect the FIT interrupt to the microblaze interrupt input...but the ticks didn't occur. No context switching happen. What steps did I miss?

Thanks~

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer torinford
Observer

I have yet to succeed at setting the tick time to anything but 10. Anyone succeeded at setting this lower than 10?

Thanks,

Torin
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Torin..

In Software Platform Setting> OS n Lib>systmr_spec.. Set the systmr_interval = 5. I think you have already done that. Then clean the software first, then generate the library again. It should works then.

0 Kudos
Observer torinford
Observer

Hey. Yeah, I've tried all of that. I can easily change the setting and I can get it to build. But it doesn't run properly. Thus, I'm wondering if anyone has actually gotten the Xilkernel to run correctly when the timer tick is set to less than 10 ms.

Torin
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

yeah i did that. Xilkernel run correctly after i changed the  time interval.... i've tried for 5ms and 2ms.. and it works~
0 Kudos
Observer torinford
Observer

How are you determining that it is running correctly? I'm determining that it IS not running correctly two ways. 1 - download via XMD, wait for outputs to serial port. Rather than getting the outputs that I expect, I just get what appears as a space character repeated forever. Then occasionally the microblaze stops with an unknown stop code. 2 - download via gdb and step though. The right after hw_init is called, the next step instruction causes the microblaze to go into a loop of printing that space character as mentioned before. Even though there is no code to do this.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I download the bitstream directly to FPGA (using the download bitstream icon on xps)... and the result appear on the hyperterminal. It should print 123456789.

For 10ms; it prints 1234567

For 2ms; it prints 1234

then it will switch to another thread..and continues back at where it stops.

0 Kudos