UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

UART connection failed with ZedBoard, using Xilinx SDK 2013.4 ?

Accepted Solution Solved
Explorer
Accepted Solution

UART connection failed with ZedBoard, using Xilinx SDK 2013.4 ?

hello,

before submit this problem here, i try on ZedBoard Forum, and thanks to TroutChaser for his support, but after the following discussion, he suggest to post my problem here, so this is the iscussion bellow, and i hope that can i foun a solution.

--------------------------------------

You Apr 22

hello,

have you found solution to the problem of UART connection with ZedBoard ?

i have the same problem like this : http://www.zedboard.org/content/zynq-concepts-tools-and-techniques-zedbo...

thank you

-------------------------------------

Hello GMA,

Can you describe exactly what your error is or attach a screen shot. The forum post you refer to has multiple issues discussed. The first one was a compile error and then a run time error. Later in the posts there were problems with the USB-UART connection.

Also, if you could add details line the board type and revision, the Xilinx tools (ISE or Vivado) and version, your PC operating system, and terminal program (Tera Term or Putty) that could help. Can you boot and run the program that comes on the QSPI Flash or SD Card?

-Gary

-------------------------------------------

You Apr 22

hello gary,

Thank you for you response

i use :

Windows 7 ( 64 bits )

Vivado 2013.4

for the terminal, first i tried to use the Terminal of Xilinx SDK 2013.4, but the error still aprear,
the problem is USB-UART connection, even i installed Digilent drivers, i change the Terminal to Tera Term, nothing, the same problem :(

for the boot, i try it, it's work :) ( i use the Tera Term )

check this is some screenshot :

http://prntscr.com/3cb0qg

http://prntscr.com/3cb0yl

but when i try to run using the xilinx SDK , check what i get ( even it's work on Tera Term )

http://prntscr.com/3cb17b

thank you

-------------------------------------------

TroutChaser Apr 22 

OK, so your problem is not any of the ones discussed in the post you refer to. It looks like you can connect with the USB-UART OK and compile your application. The issue is the JTAG connection to the Zynq. I would look at two things. First, in SDK under "Xilinx Tools" open "Configure JTAG Settings". You probably have that set to 'Digilent USB Cable". On some systems it works better to set this to "Auto Detect". If it is set to "Auto Detect" already then try the "Digilent USB Cable" setting.

The other thing to check is that you have the boot configuration jumpers on the ZedBoard, J7 - J11, set for JTAG operation. They should all be set to '0'.
If this does not correct your issue then create a new forum post detailing the problem. You are more likely to get a response on the forum than a private email to me directly as I am not always in the office to check.

-Gary

-------------------------------

You Apr 22

hello again,

ok, i will create another subject, because i try all this recommendation but, still have this problem

i will check again, maybe i forget something

and about the Xillinux, i succeed to run it on the board, but i found that there is only one CPU in running ( look here =>http://prntscr.com/3ccieq )

thank you again

---------------------------------------

TroutChaser Apr 22 

Glad to help.
I would try to start over and make sure to follow all of the steps in the tutorial. I have been able to run using Windows 7 without issues as have many other ZedBoard users, at least for the Hello World portion of the tutorial.

Xilinux is provided by a third party as a community project. I don't have any information or experience with Xilinux so you will need to either post forum question for the third party to address or contact him directly.

-Gary

----------------------------------

Screenshot_5.jpg

thank you 

My blog : www.xilinx-video.blogspot.com

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: UART connection failed with ZedBoard, using Xilinx SDK 2013.4 ?

hello everyone

Finally, i found a solution, it's so simple, i forget to link my Board with a second cable

in this tutorial : http://svenand.blogdrive.com/archive/172.html
"Connect two micro-USB cables between the host computer and the ZedBoard connectors J17 (JTAG) and J14 (UART)"

View solution in original post

All Replies
Xilinx Employee

Hi ,

I would like know to if you have checked the Zedboard mode pin settings with respect to the JTAG independent  connectionZedboard_JTAG.PNG

Are you able to connect to the ARM processor through XMD console ?  this will confirm on the JTAG connecivity.

XMD% connect arm hw

Can you create a new workspace with default zedboard settings and see if you are able to program application to the PS7?

Regards,

Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Explorer

hi Achutha,

When i return to our Lab, i will apply your recommendation, and i will reply 

as i explain in my post, when i use Tera Tem , it's work, but not withXilinx SDK ?

thank you

Voyager

Are you confusing the UART connection and the JTAG connection?

The error you show is related to the USB-JTAG. Yet your comment about connecting to TeraTerm applies to the USB-UART. These are different microUSB connectors on the ZedBoard with different functionality.

Do you have TWO microUSB cables plugged between your ZedBoard and PC?

Bryan

Explorer

no, just one cable ( UART port ) 

Explorer

hello everyone

Finally, i found a solution, it's so simple, i forget to link my Board with a second cable

in this tutorial : http://svenand.blogdrive.com/archive/172.html
"Connect two micro-USB cables between the host computer and the ZedBoard connectors J17 (JTAG) and J14 (UART)"