UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

UCF for uBlaze in ISE

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am integrating an XPS project which is a uBlaze in my ISE project. Even though my ISE project does not have any UCF file, ISE conects the ports of the uBlaze to the pins indicated in the XPS module UCF, which is under a directory called: \my_project\data\

This is cool if you just want to have the XPS module in ISE, but if you want to add more logic, the problem that you have is that, for example, if you want to connect a global clock (for uBlaze and the logic) to the oscilator pin of the board, you will habe trouble during the "Translate" process, because this pin is already assigned in the XPS ".ufc". And, if you use the name given in the XPS ".ucf" file and assign it to your global clock, you also get problems when translating and finally that net is not conected, so nothing works.

The solution I found is to comment everything in the XPS ".ucf" and copy it in the ISE global ".ucf" for the top hierarchy level, but I don think this is very elegant.

Is there any way to have a MicroBlaze or any other XPS module in ISE without having to manually comment everything in the XPS ".ucf" file?

If you need more detail please answer this post and I will be pleased to give it to you.

Kind regards,

Ignacio.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: UCF for uBlaze in ISE

Jump to solution

Hi,

1. All .ucf within a design are collated by the tools and used during Translate, Map and PAR. If you have a constraint somewhere in the hierarchy, the tools will find and use it. A subsequent constraint found by the tools will override a previous constraint if there is a possible contention. 
  2. You should either specify the top level ucf as a seperate .UCF file in ISE. or in the XPS .ucf but not both.
  3. A systematic approach is to use a seperate UCF file whenever an xps file(.xmp) is loaded into the ISE prjt.

Thanks

Akshay

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi,

1. All .ucf within a design are collated by the tools and used during Translate, Map and PAR. If you have a constraint somewhere in the hierarchy, the tools will find and use it. A subsequent constraint found by the tools will override a previous constraint if there is a possible contention. 
  2. You should either specify the top level ucf as a seperate .UCF file in ISE. or in the XPS .ucf but not both.
  3. A systematic approach is to use a seperate UCF file whenever an xps file(.xmp) is loaded into the ISE prjt.

Thanks

Akshay

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi,

thanks for your help.

What I finally do is to comment the XPS (except the constraints definicion) .ucf included in the directory and put all its content in the global .ucf of the ISE project (except the constraints definicion).

Now, it works fine.

Regards,

Ignacio.

0 Kudos