Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Updating BSP in Vitis

Jump to solution

Hi,

In Xilinx SDK, whenever I made a change to my design and exported it, SDK used to ask me if I want to update the SDK project with new configuration. How can I update the BSP file to import the new changes in Vitis?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Ok, the process is longer than you expected, and very troublesome and annoying and inconvenient. The Moderators in the Forums are not responsive on Vitis and when they repond, it is very vague and unclear. It seems like only users are figuring things out and relying on each other. I don't understand why would Xilinx release Vitis when it's not even ready.

My operating system: Windows 10

Xilinx Viviado/Vitis: 2019.2.1

1- After you change your design, first things you need to do is export the .xsa by going to "File->Export->Export Hardware..." in Vivado.

2- Open Vitis and right click on "Platform Project" and click on "Update Hardware Specification".

3- You think you are done, nope, you will get an error saying "Hw specification provided does not have the HwDb". You need to reboot Vitis.

4- When you reboot vitis, double click on [your project].prj and then click on "Navigate to BSP Settings".

5- Then click on "Reset BSP Sources".

6- then you need to go to "Project" menu and clean everything and rebuild it.

At some point between 3 and 4, you might be getting this error:

Capture.PNG

This is because [platform-project].xpfm file in export directory of you project is deleted. You should build the platform project to get it back. **don't change anything** after you build the platform, things should get back to normal.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Ok, the process is longer than you expected, and very troublesome and annoying and inconvenient. The Moderators in the Forums are not responsive on Vitis and when they repond, it is very vague and unclear. It seems like only users are figuring things out and relying on each other. I don't understand why would Xilinx release Vitis when it's not even ready.

My operating system: Windows 10

Xilinx Viviado/Vitis: 2019.2.1

1- After you change your design, first things you need to do is export the .xsa by going to "File->Export->Export Hardware..." in Vivado.

2- Open Vitis and right click on "Platform Project" and click on "Update Hardware Specification".

3- You think you are done, nope, you will get an error saying "Hw specification provided does not have the HwDb". You need to reboot Vitis.

4- When you reboot vitis, double click on [your project].prj and then click on "Navigate to BSP Settings".

5- Then click on "Reset BSP Sources".

6- then you need to go to "Project" menu and clean everything and rebuild it.

At some point between 3 and 4, you might be getting this error:

Capture.PNG

This is because [platform-project].xpfm file in export directory of you project is deleted. You should build the platform project to get it back. **don't change anything** after you build the platform, things should get back to normal.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you so much for this!   This saved me from hours and hours of figuring out why I couldn't rebuild after updating the HW.   I didn't need to do the reboot thing though.

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

thanks a lot for your post, it helped me a lot.

i wrote a small tcl script doing exactly what you describe. it's not pretty but getst the job done.

execute in XSCT console in Vitis workspace using the following commands
cd [getws]
source {../update_platform_slim.tcl}

Highlighted

Thanks a lot for your comment and solution!

I could not complete the hello_world tutorial before using your steps!

Cheers,

Quentin

0 Kudos
Highlighted

This was a known issue in 2019.2.

In 2020.1, only step 2 above is required:

Open Vitis and right click on "Platform Project" and click on "Update Hardware Specification".

Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Thank you @stephenm. I'm glad it's fixed.

Bugs are always part of a new software. This is why it's good to provide users a transition time rather than suddenly terminating the wide used SDK.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @stephenm 

I have updated to Version 2020.1,  when I click on "Update hardware specification", it does not update xparameters.h file. I can see my block in "platform.spr" window but not in xparameters.h header file. Should it be updated automatically or other steps needs to be done? 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor
Hi Sir,
My OS is Centos7.8, and Vitis IDE is 2019.2.
I can't find "Navigate to BSP Settings". Could you finger out where the setting is? Thanks.

Best regards,
TC
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @eyke.liegmann , 

I get an error message after source ../update_platform_slim.tcl. Do you know where the problem is?

========================================
Info: Regenerate all BSP
========================================
Cleaning the zynqmp_fsbl application.
rm -rf xfsbl_authentication.o xfsbl_dfu_util.o xfsbl_csu_dma.o xfsbl_plpartition_valid.o psu_init.o xfsbl_misc_drivers.o
xfsbl_board.o xfsbl_handoff.o xfsbl_initialization.o xfsbl_partition_load.o xfsbl_misc.o xfsbl_main.o xfsbl_hooks.o xfs
bl_usb.o xfsbl_image_header.o xfsbl_bs.o xfsbl_nand.o xfsbl_rsa_sha.o xfsbl_qspi.o xfsbl_ddr_init.o xfsbl_sd.o xfsbl_ex
it.o xfsbl_translation_table.o zynqmp_fsbl_bsp/psu_cortexa53_0/lib/libxil.a executable.elf *.o

Info: regenerated BSP zynqmp_fsbl
xsct% bsp command is not valid for linux Os based domains.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

probably the xsct command returns the vector of the domains in slightly different format. the script is just a quick hack, only tested on a windows machine.

you could simplify the script to the following, if you know your domain names:

• domain active YOUR_DOMAIN_NAME1
  • bsp regenerate
  • domain active YOUR_DOMAIN_NAME2
  • bsp regenerate

and then clean all + build all

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The problem still exists in 2020.1. Just spent multiple hours tracking a problem down just to discover the xparameters.h file was not updated after "Update Hardware Specification". You do need to open platform.spr and "Reset BSP Sources" for both the fsbl and standalone paths. Ugh...

0 Kudos