UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Usage of 2 Ethernet Lite cores in a Dual PowerPC system

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask the following question. I have a Xilinx ML410 board with a Virtex4 FX60 FPGA with 2 PowerPCs and the board has 2 Ethernet PHYs. Is it possible to instantiate 2 Ethernet Lite IP cores and connect each one to a PowerPC? In other words, what I want to do is to create two completely independent embedded systems inside the FPGA, each one having its own PowerPC and Ethernet interface.

Any comments are most welcome.

Kind regards,

dtheoror

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Usage of 2 Ethernet Lite cores in a Dual PowerPC system

A system like you describe is absolutely possible on other boards, but probably not on the ML410. From what I remember, the 2nd PHY on the ML410 only supports SGMII or RGMII, and that would mean that you'd have to use a different TEMAC for that. ethernetlite only supports MII.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Usage of 2 Ethernet Lite cores in a Dual PowerPC system

Hello Vsiva,

Yes you are right, I also read it in the manual. Unfortunatelly the 2nd PHY of the ML410 board support only SGMII or RGMII. Based on that, this means that I could instantiate an EthernetMAC Lite IP for the 1st PowerPC, while an XPS LL TEMAC could be used for the 2nd PowerPC. 

Thank you very much for your reply!

Kind regards,

dtheodor
0 Kudos