cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Using Platform Cable USB with ISE 14.7 VirtualBox Linux Guest on Windows 10 Host

Has anyone successfully used the Xilinx Platform Cable USB with ISE 14.7 IMPACT running on the VirtualBox Linux Guest OS on a Windows 10 Host?

I have successfully routed my design (legacy board... I have definitely moved on with newer designs), but am stuck trying to program the device as IMPACT cannot detect the cable.

Alternatively, are there any alternative approaches to programming the PROM on my Spartan6 design?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Re: Using Platform Cable USB with ISE 14.7 VirtualBox Linux Guest on Windows 10 Host

I hear that vivado lab tools, which does run on W10 , can program any part once you have the file !

Might be worth giving it a go,
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Re: Using Platform Cable USB with ISE 14.7 VirtualBox Linux Guest on Windows 10 Host

I'll give that another try. It didn't work yesterday, but that could have been for other reasons.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I was able to program the Spartan6 using the Vivado Hardware Manager, but what I really need to do is program the memory attached to the Spartan6. IMPACT knows about attached memories and prompts to add what is necessary to reach it. (That involves downloading a small program to the Spartan6 in order to route the program bits to the PROM.) I found no mention of this sort of operation, but I'm still looking.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Thanks for the feed back , that's good to know,

Just thinking aloud , I wonder if the prom you have is supported by vivado ? I dont know , sorry no help there
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Right, well that gets back to the fundamental question: Does anyone know any way that I can program my board? The design was absolutely supported by Xilinx when it was created, but they seem to have abandoned it without leaving any guidance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

The recommended route is to use the tools designed for this board.

The correct tools for this board is ISE,
probably the best version to use is 14.7
and the supported OS's for ISE are W7 or some linux's

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/18419.html

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

The fact that I'm running ISE 14.7 in VirtualBox is because that is what Xilinx offered as their option for Windows 10. I am assuming that means they support that option, and yet it appears to be an incomplete solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

I'm in total agreement with you ,
as are many others on the forums,
BUT
ISE is evidently a EOL tool to Xilinx, and the rumours are that it was only made available to support Spartan 6 at all, even if its via a VM was due to a certain large car manufacturer needing it.

I think I said, but the only people I know now using ISE, have there own VM, and run windows 7 in it, as opposed to the linux setup in the supplied VM, I dont , but use it ATM, but i have heard notes about the VM supplied is also "old", and if you have your own one, its up to date and under your control,

It seems with W10 changing so often , that this might be the way of the future...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Watching, as this is the exact problem I am facing also. I managed to get an environment that built in ISE 14.7 under Windows 7 in the "officially supported" Virtual Machine, and now I need to be able to load/flash the board with an executable and debug it. Have both Xilinx Platform Cable USB and USB 2. This needs to work before I call Vectorcast so we can get a runtime support package (RSP) so we can do coverage testing and unit tests on a Spartan-6 board. 

Does it work, or not? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

After re-reading the whole thread, it seems like the answer is, if I want to program flash or debug Spartan-6, the sure-fire way is with the Windows 7 native ISE 14.7, and Xilinx Platform Cable USB or USB-2? 

There is no present way to get JTAG debugging or external flash loads with Spartan-6 to work with the "supported" ISE 14.7 running inside Linux VM?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

From my point of view:

I have not heard from anyone who has succeeded, but I have not heard from anyone who has failed either aside from myself. I have not heard from Xilinx either, for that matter. I am inclined to maintain an open mind. At the moment I have dug up an old Win7 machine with an old ISE installation that is allowing me to get through this week's updates, but that is not a long term solution.

I think drjohnsmith is suggesting that one might have better luck if they were to do their own installation into a virtual machine of their own creation, since then they might be able to get the USB drivers set up in a more robust way than the Xilinx Virtualbox image provides. I think that makes sense, since I have certainly had success getting USB to work with virtual machines in other instances, but I have not had time to try it myself.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Well, I need a working solution now to make schedule. I wish I had time to play with this, because it IS an interesting problem. 

But I think setting up a Win7 laptop, or Win7 VM under 10 is going to get us going. A developer here has a dispensation to use 7 for some other old tools, so that will work for the time being. 

To be fair, ten years is elderly for an FPGA? ;P

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

That's certainly true, but they are still selling them, so asking for a way to program them doesn't seem unreasonable. In my application, we build boards for in-house use that often have lifetimes measured in decades. Being able to make minor adjustments, particularly when you have the flexibility of an FPGA, is much more desirable than designing a new board. Unfortunately our volume is miniscule, so we don't have much pull.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Well... what we are using them for could very well be very long-lived, too.

Just looked on Digi-Key for Spartan-6 eval boards:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/development-boards-kits-programmers/evaluation-boards-embedded-complex-logic-fpga-cpld/796?k=xilinx%20spartan-6

Seems ideal for college students looking to learn FPGA. :-)

>> I have not heard from anyone who has failed either aside from myself. I have not heard from Xilinx either, for that matter. <<

They've been silent for a week, which speaks volumes. :-)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

@madmat90630

I thought the forum had covered your concerns very clearly ,
if you want to use devices supported by ISE , then you need to use an approved OS.

I agree. To me any many others on the forum its **bleep** that ISE does not work in W10, I have clients using CPLDs in very long lived products , and CPLDs are still sold, and suported, but even the W10 version of ISE does not support them,

All I can do is tell you my experience and answer,
get your own VM, there are many options, depending if you want free or you want support from the VM manufacturer,
on that put a version of a supported OS, be that linux or W7, again depending upon what support / cost you want,

Then you are in control of your process,
Mentor
Mentor

Hi @norton_allen 

Did you install extension pack to VirtualBox ?

Also, did you install extention pack to guest OS ?

And, did you turn on USB controller as over USB2.0 (EHCI or xHCI) on VirtualMachine ?

Finally, did you make sure existance of usb device and kernel module by lsusb and lsmod ?

I guess it is hard to prepare this environment without any experience of Virtual Box...

Let me know if you have any question. I will help you...

Best regards,