UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor peterzal
Visitor

Using components in custom IP implementations

Is there some special way that components need to be instantiated within the user_logic.vhd of a custom IP? When doing it the traditional way by declaring the component outside the architecture and port mapping it within the architecture gives the following error:

ERROR:NgdBuild:604 - logical block
   'adder_plb_0/adder_plb_0/USER_LOGIC_I/adder_64_dut' with type 'adder_64'
   could not be resolved. A pin name misspelling can cause this, a missing edif
   or ngc file, or the misspelling of a type name. Symbol 'adder_64' is not
   supported in target 'virtex4'.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Using components in custom IP implementations

I would recommend running your pcore through the Import Peripheral Wizard.
Typically these errors occur when the BBD file is not set up or not set up correctly.  The import peripheral wizard allows you to select all of the ngc and edif files that are included in your pcore.
You can refer to psf_rm.pdf for more information on the BBD file (found in the docs directory of EDK).
0 Kudos
Visitor peterzal
Visitor

Hmm. When I re-imported the core it worked correctly. However I'm continually making changes to the core and re-importing it every time is a hassle. I've set the OPTION CORE_STATE= DEVELOPMENT variable in the MPD and this does resynthesize the core every time however the same error as shown above occurs whenever I make changes to the core. Is there any other way to get this to work without having to re-import the core every single time?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

If you do not re-import the peripheral do the ngc and edifs get copied over to the implementation folder?
0 Kudos
Visitor peterzal
Visitor

The .ngc files were copied over into the implementation folder. However after I re-imported the core I am now able to make changes to it and no longer get the error. So everything seems in order now. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos