UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

VDMA and muti-clock domain

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I'm designing a VDMA pipe-line. In typical cases, AXIS_S2MM_ACLK and AXIS_MM2S_ACLK are same,

but I need using two different clocks. For example, TPG uses 200Mhz(as an input of VDMA), and AXI4-Stream to Video Out

(as ouput of VDMA) uses 148.5Mhz(HDMI 1080p). And AXI interconnect is used between VDMA and Zynq7 PS.

In this case, does this design work? I have tried all the possible ways that I can figure out, but it does not work.

Is there any ways to make this design to work?

Hopefully, someone can give me advices or comments.

Thank you..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Voyager
Voyager

Re: VDMA and muti-clock domain

Jump to solution

On an axi interconnect, SY_ARESETN must be synchronous to SY_ACLK for a given Y.  Same for MX_ARESETN relative to MX_ACLK on the interconnect for a given X.  However, SY_ACLK doesn't need to be the same clock to MY_ACLK of the interconnect, or even ACLK/ARESETN

However, whatever is connected to the SY port of the interconnect, let's say M0_ of some other IP, both SY_ACLK and M0_ACLK needs to be the same clock (likewise for reset).

Likewise, whatever is connected to MZ of the interconnect, let's say S0_ of some other IP, both S0_ACLK and MZ_ACLK needs to be the same clock (likewise for reset).

The ACLK of the interconnect is the internal interconnect clock.  If ACLK, S00_ACLK, and M00_ACLK of the interconnect are all the same, the interconnect won't add clock domain crossing logic.

So, if you already understood this, can you upload a tcl of your .bd with the write_bd_tcl command?

If you didn't already understand this post, try to digest it first.

***Many of us who help you are just FPGA enthusiasts, and not Xilinx employees. If you receive help, and give kudos (star), you're likely to continue receiving help in the future. If you get a solution, please mark it as a solution.***
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

@emotaworld wrote:

I have tried all the possible ways that I can figure out, but it does not work.

It would help us (me at least) understand the level of explanation required if you were more specific as to what you tried, and your thoughts on why it failed.

***Many of us who help you are just FPGA enthusiasts, and not Xilinx employees. If you receive help, and give kudos (star), you're likely to continue receiving help in the future. If you get a solution, please mark it as a solution.***
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I refered Xilinx's reference desgin xapp1205. In this example, a Performance Monitor IP is used.

When I apply two different clocks ( as I mentnioned above), the monitor IP shows TX rate (size of transferred data), but

RX (received data ) shows 0.

When it works, both TX and RX shows some numbers, and those two numbers are almost same. In addition, 

monitor displays clear TPG through HDMI.

But different clocks are used, the monitor cannot display any image....

Than you..

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

On an axi interconnect, SY_ARESETN must be synchronous to SY_ACLK for a given Y.  Same for MX_ARESETN relative to MX_ACLK on the interconnect for a given X.  However, SY_ACLK doesn't need to be the same clock to MY_ACLK of the interconnect, or even ACLK/ARESETN

However, whatever is connected to the SY port of the interconnect, let's say M0_ of some other IP, both SY_ACLK and M0_ACLK needs to be the same clock (likewise for reset).

Likewise, whatever is connected to MZ of the interconnect, let's say S0_ of some other IP, both S0_ACLK and MZ_ACLK needs to be the same clock (likewise for reset).

The ACLK of the interconnect is the internal interconnect clock.  If ACLK, S00_ACLK, and M00_ACLK of the interconnect are all the same, the interconnect won't add clock domain crossing logic.

So, if you already understood this, can you upload a tcl of your .bd with the write_bd_tcl command?

If you didn't already understand this post, try to digest it first.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant eewse
Participant

Jump to solution

I got similar problem.

I want to so something below

hdmi in(frame:60Hz /pixel:142MHz) -> vdma 1(60Hz/142MHz) ->zynq -> vdma0(30Hz/71MHz) -> hdmi-out(30Hz/71MHz)

But whenever I set the pixel clock of vdma0 to 71MHz, hdmi out will be blank

Screenshot from 2019-07-06 15-25-48.png

Pls advise

0 Kudos