UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Virtex-4 tri-mode Ethernet core license error

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I'm finishing up a design right now based around a Virtex 4 FX60. One of the modules I'm using is the TEMAC ethernet core. The VFX60 has a couple of hard MACs in it, which means (if I understand the licensing right) that the license to use them should be free, right

So how come every time I build my design in XPS I get the following info message from ngdbuild?

INFO:coreutil - Hardware Evaluation license for component <xps_ll_temac_v1>
   found. The generated design will cease to function in the programmed device
   after operating for some period of time. This allows you to evaluate the
   component in hardware. You are encouraged to license this component.
   For ordering information, please refer to the product page for this component
   on: www.xilinx.com

The design compiles and builds OK even though it shows that message. Do I have to worry about my design shutting down or locking up in the field? That's what happens when the core is used in evaluation mode, right? How do I make XPS use the real license?

Message Edited by nrclark on 06-24-2009 10:44 AM
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Virtex-4 tri-mode Ethernet core license error

Jump to solution

Hey, here's a heads up for everybody on what I found out about this -

The LLTEMAC core does not require a license of any kind (evaluation or otherwise) to use with the Virtex-4 FX or other FPGAs with a hard TEMAC in them, according to Xilinx's licensing department, the license is only needed if you're compiling the LLTEMAC with a "soft" MAC. Prateek, I thought this was true so I checked to make sure.

I talked with Xilinx tech support yesterday, and they said it was a known issue in EDK 9.2 and 10.1 - apparently the "evaluation warning" message always comes up regardless of whether or not it's using the hardware license. They said not to worry about it. The hardware timeout is not included, and even though the message shows up durning NGDbuild it's not an evaluation license and it's legal to use.

Message Edited by nrclark on 06-26-2009 11:12 AM
Message Edited by nrclark on 06-26-2009 11:13 AM
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello.

Since it is an evaluation version and not the complete version thats why such info is generated. Xilinx gives it for testing purpose for a fixed duration of time although you don't have to worry for this info. If at anytime it ceases to function then you can again download the bitstream and it will start working. For complete license you have to contact xilinx for purchasing.

Best of luck.
--
Unlimited in my Limits.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hey, here's a heads up for everybody on what I found out about this -

The LLTEMAC core does not require a license of any kind (evaluation or otherwise) to use with the Virtex-4 FX or other FPGAs with a hard TEMAC in them, according to Xilinx's licensing department, the license is only needed if you're compiling the LLTEMAC with a "soft" MAC. Prateek, I thought this was true so I checked to make sure.

I talked with Xilinx tech support yesterday, and they said it was a known issue in EDK 9.2 and 10.1 - apparently the "evaluation warning" message always comes up regardless of whether or not it's using the hardware license. They said not to worry about it. The hardware timeout is not included, and even though the message shows up durning NGDbuild it's not an evaluation license and it's legal to use.

Message Edited by nrclark on 06-26-2009 11:12 AM
Message Edited by nrclark on 06-26-2009 11:13 AM
0 Kudos