cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nhilderm
Visitor
Visitor

Vitis 2020.2 GDB issue with Cortex-R5 target on a Xilinx Zynq Ultrascale+ XCZU2CG

Hi. I am trying to use gdb to connect to my Cortex-R5 target on a Xilinx Zynq Ultrascale+ XCZU2CG.

See the below errors. I have the logs from gdb client and hw_server below. This is being run from a Windows 10 install. What am I missing? Do I need to specify which core? I also tried with Linux client and same issue.

C:\Xilinx\Vitis\2020.2\gnu\armr5\nt\gcc-arm-none-eabi\bin>armr5-none-eabi-gdb.exe ..\..\fsbl.elf
C:\Xilinx\Vitis\2020.2\gnu\armr5\nt\gcc-arm-none-eabi\bin\armr5-none-eabi-gdb.exe: warning: Couldn't determine a path for the index cache directory.
GNU gdb (GNU Toolchain for the A-profile Architecture 9.2-2020.02 (arm-9.10)) 8.3.0.20190709-git
Copyright (C) 2019 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-w64-mingw32 --target=arm-none-eabi".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<https://bugs.linaro.org/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.

For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from ..\..\fsbl.elf...
(gdb) target remote localhost:3000
Remote debugging using localhost:3000
Remote replied unexpectedly to 'vMustReplyEmpty': PacketSize=4000;QStartNoAckMode+;qXfer:features:read+;qXfer:exec-file:read+;multiprocess+;swbreak+;hwbreak+
(gdb)

xsct% hw_server -L-
WARNING: [Common 17-259] Unknown Tcl command 'hw_server -L-' sending command to the OS shell for execution. It is recommended to use 'exec' to send the command to the OS shell.

****** Xilinx hw_server v2020.2
**** Build date : Nov 18 2020 at 10:01:48
** Copyright 1986-2020 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

INFO: hw_server application started
INFO: Use Ctrl-C to exit hw_server application

INFO: To connect to this hw_server instance use url: TCP:ONW-NHILDERM-01:3121

TCF 01:36:53.761: jtagpoll: open port Digilent/251633005BA0A
TCF 01:36:53.805: Detected Zynq UltraScale+: family 56, platform 0 V0, RTL V81, PS V3
TCF 01:36:53.992: Cannot get process ISA: Cannot read 'sctlr'. Cannot read register if not stopped. Execution context is running
TCF 01:36:53.996: Cannot get process ISA: Cannot read 'sctlr'. Cannot read register if not stopped. Execution context is running
TCF 01:36:53.999: Cannot get process ISA: APU L2 cache is held in reset
TCF 01:36:54.000: Cannot get process ISA: APU L2 cache is held in reset
TCF 01:36:59.498: GDB Server connection closed: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

0 Kudos
1 Reply
shaunpur
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Before GDB can be used a few conditions must first be met:

1. Active TCF connection to the device
  2. Device is initialized
  3. Processor to be debugged must be in a post-reset state.

One easy way to accomplish all this is to borrow the init sequence from the Vitis IDE.  For example, in the IDE create a hello-world project for the processor of interest then debug with GDB (i.e. Launch on Hardware - Single Application Debug - GDB).  Once the debug session is launched an "XSDB Script" can be found in the Vitis Log tab.  These commands can be copied to a new *.tcl file and used to prepare the device prior to GDB debug.  Below is a screenshot highlighting these commands in an example project.

Screenshot 2021-05-06 170206.jpg

Assuming these commands were saved to a "debug_script.tcl" file, the script could be run and an active TCF session left open as follows:

$ xsct -interactive debug_script.tcl

Then separately start gdb and connect.  For example: 

$ armr5-none-eabi-gdb
(gdb) tar ext localhost:3000

The (GDB) command above is the short-hand version of: target extended-remote localhost:3000

Availability of processors can also be confirmed from GDB with the monitor command.  For example:

(gdb) mon ps
1: Cortex-R5 #0 (Suspended)

Note that the remote gdbserver connection is actually hosted by hw_server (TCF agent).  In the example above port 3000 is the default for Aarch32 connections.  The full list of default ports can be found in hw_server built-in documentation.  For example:

$ hw_server -help
Usage: agent [OPTION]...
Start Target Communication Framework agent.
-d run in daemon mode (output is sent to system logger)
 -p<port> base port number for Xilinx GDB server
default is 3000, -p0 disables the ports
the server opens one port per target architecture:
3000: ARM; 3001: ARM64; 3002: MicroBlaze; 3003: MicroBlaze64