Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
generic_name_1
Participant
Participant

Vitis 2020 and the Embedded Linux O/S that does not require PetaLinux Tools

Dear Sir:

I am becoming acquainted with the latest features of Vitis 2020 and I took notice that Vitis 2020 appears to enable the embedded developer the ability to installed an embedded Linux operating system onto a development board within the Vitis IDE.

It would appear that it is possible to install an embedded Linux operating system onto a development board while Vitis 2020 is running under Windows 10.

I assumed that this would be possible after overlooking the Xilinx downloads web page (see the link below):

Note: PetaLinux Tools installation is not necessary to use the common images. The licenses and sources used to create the common image content is provided below.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page under the title:

"Common images for Embedded Vitis platforms - 2020.1"

It says:

"  Note: PetaLinux Tools installation is not necessary to use the common images.  The licenses and sources used to create the common image content is provided below. "

It is my belief that in order to use PetaLinux Tools, PetaLinux Tools must be running under a Linux O/S.

However, it appears from the quote above that if a Linux embedded operating system image is directly accessible from a Vitis IDE then if one were running Vitis under Windows 10- an embedded Linux operating system could be still be deployed to a SD card (or other medium) without the need for the Linux operating system to enable this function.

Can a Xilinx engineer tell me if this interpretation is correct, or not?

2 Replies
generic_name_1
Participant
Participant

After reading this on the download page that I had linked in my first post (above):

"The sdk.sh script must to be used to setup the compressed Yocto Project SDK on a Linux development host properly".

I believe that my first interpretation may not be correct.   It appears that this download is for a Yocto development environment which requires a Linux type O/S. 

Can anyone tell me the utility of how the "Common images for Embedded Vitis platforms - 2020.1" download (click on the link in the first post and scroll down this webpage to find the selected download) was intended to be utilized by the developer - besides not having to install PetaLinux tools?     

0 Kudos
generic_name_1
Participant
Participant

Hi, this is me again, I waited about 2 weeks for an answer to this question.   No answer.    Is this really that hard a question to answer?     What is in the download, under what circumstances do I use this software option?  Can anyone answer this question?

0 Kudos