cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
strusc
Observer
Observer

Vitis IDE flicker and freeze

I've been having trouble with vitis 2019.2 and 2020.2 where the IDE works fine for a while (20mins) then starts to flicker, then the text starts to disappear if you scroll up or down, then eventually is starts freezing for 30 seconds at a time.  If I close vitis and re-open it works fine again for 20-30 minutes.   this happens just editing text files.

By flicker I mean it looks like the document being edited goes blank then shows up again, as if the display is refreshing slowly.

I'm running linux mint 20 (Ubuntu 18.04), there are no errors in the terminal that i called vitis from. I dont see any significant processing or memory usage in vitis.  I've got plenty of ram (128GB) and cpu.

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

Chris

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
marcb

Hi @strusc 

I do not see that there have been any suggestions for using the Mint OS with Vitis. Could you migrate to Ubuntu (8.04.1, 18.04.2, 18.04.3, 18.04.4) or another OS on the supported list? The supported operating systems are the only ones tested, so using another OS could have unpredictable behavior.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_2/ug1400-vitis-embedded.pdf#page=13

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @strusc 

It seems GPU or GPU driver issue or cable issue or power issue.

What kind of GPU are you using ?

Also how to connect video signal between PC to monitor ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
strusc
Observer
Observer

its an nvidia card a Quadro M5000 over HDMI.  I doubt its the cable or graphics driver as only the text in the editor flickers, none of the other toolbars or other applications on the system do.   Its almost like the IDE is refreshing the text or something as you type.   To the other question, no I'm married to Mint for project reasons. I am going to try mint20.1 and see if that fixes it but I'm not hopeful since thats even newer than that vitis officially supports.

0 Kudos
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @strusc 

What kind of driver are you using ? Open source ? Proprietary (NVidia) ?

Also, what resolution are you using ?

It seems that GPU can't complete to render 2D (font) data by one frame.

Would you make sure it ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
strusc
Observer
Observer

I'm using the nvidia driver 435.21.    Dual displays 2560x1600 each.

I'm wondering if its my java version since vitis seems to be a java app (Jdk 11.0.4)

I also suspected maybe some of the automated text stuff so I disabled everything I could find like spell check and the active syntax checking but that doesnt do it either.

I should say the flicker is not always a flicker.  It often goes to a full blank grey page where the text was, and if i scroll or hit up/down on the keyboard the text will appear and then go back to all grey

0 Kudos
strusc
Observer
Observer

I found a solution that appears to fix this

Here’s how I fixed it:

First check the value of GTK_IM_MODULE in your environment by executing
echo $GTK_IM_MODULE

In my case the output was “xim”. But Eclipse expect it to be “ibus”. So enter the following command in a terminal session to set it to the value.

export GTK_IM_MODULE="ibus"

Now if you launch Eclipse from the same terminal session, you should not experience any flickering issue. If you launch eclipse from a desktop menu entry, then edit the .desktop file and put the following string in the beginning of the Exec command:

env GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus

Found here: https://subhadipsblog.wordpress.com/2019/01/25/how-to-fix-eclipse-ide-flickering-issue-on-debian/