Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

Vitis OS aware - cannot read core run queue

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am trying to get os aware up and running in 2019.2 with Vitis.  I'm following the below help file:

https://www.xilinx.com/html_docs/xilinx2017_4/SDK_Doc/SDK_tasks/task_ebabling_osaware_debug.html

I can get the vmlinux symbol file associated and see the following.

53.jpg

The problem I'm having is that I can't see any of the services or the linux system under the "linux" category under the "xc7z020" on the left hand side.  Shown below:

54.jpg

The properties show this problem - "cannot read core run queue. Invalid value of __per_cpu_offset[1].

55.jpg

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @m3atwad 

Sorry for the delay being back to you but I just got some time to test this on my side, and I'm getting same error too. I will report that internally as it seems for me that something might be broken here.

Anyway, in theory you are capable of debugging the kernel itself so you should be able to debug the network driver.

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

I'm effectively trying to do this:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/67325.html

I need to step through the axienet driver to figure out why my MDIO link setup is failing.  The difference between my problem and #67325 is that I need to see the kernel boot process with Vitis and break when I get to functions in the axienet driver.  The problem is that I can't find the .ko file for the axienet driver anywhere in the build system and therefore can't associate the code/symbols with the sdk/Vitis.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Xilinx,

I've gone through the Vitis 2019.2 users guide again (starting at page 61) to try to get up and running so I can debug my ethernet driver.  Here is the users guide:

http://xilinx.eetrend.com/files/2019-10/wen_zhang_/100045795-83364-ug1400-vitis-embedded.pdf

I'm dead in the water - could someone on the forums forward this to anyone in Xilinx who is familiar with OS aware debugging.  I'm stuck and these forums seem to be dead right now.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @m3atwad 

It's been a while since my last usage of OS awareness so I might be missing some of the details, specially given that you are using Vitis. Anyway, the AR you are pointing out is focused on debugging a kernel module, which means that if you want to debug the ethernet driver in that way you would need to build it as a module (otherwise it is built-in the kernel itself). You need to go to kernel configuration (i.e. petalinux: petalinux-config -c kernel) and select the appropriate driver to be built as module (M).

Finally even with a built-in kernel you already have been able to have the kernel symbols loaded into the Vitis debugger so you should be able to place breakpoints in the code (remember that you need to enable symbols....). The Linux context in the debugger view is to debug the processes running in top of the kernel, so not the driver.

Regards

Ibai
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Well if I take a step back - I am unable to see the kernel processes running as the guide shows.  Why am I unable to see the linux processes and does it have anything to do with that error message?  The guide from Xilinx says I should be able to see a large list of processes as I describe in my above questions.  I honestly think I've read everything there is from Xilinx both forums and documentation and there is something wrong here that the documentation isn't aware of.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @m3atwad 

Sorry for the delay being back to you but I just got some time to test this on my side, and I'm getting same error too. I will report that internally as it seems for me that something might be broken here.

Anyway, in theory you are capable of debugging the kernel itself so you should be able to debug the network driver.

Regards

Ibai

View solution in original post

Voyager
Voyager

thanks @ibaie I appreciate you checking this out it looked like something was broken to me.  

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

@ibaie  - was this ever fixed?

0 Kudos