UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer aricblumer
Observer

Vivado 2016.3 SDK + Tri Mode Ethernet MAC + lwIP

Jump to solution

Hi. I have generated a block design with a microblaze and the temac v9.0. I have exported the hardware and launched the SDK, but when I try to create the standalone board support package (BSP) with lwIP141 v1.6 support, I get this error in the SDK Log:

13:40:05 ERROR : (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1545] Problem running tcl command ::sw_lwip141_v1_6::lwip_drc : ERROR: No Ethernet MAC cores are addressable from processor microblaze_0. lwIP requires atleast one EMAC (xps_ethernetlite | xps_ll_temac | axi_ethernet | axi_ethernet_buffer | axi_ethernetlite | ps7_ethernet | psu_ethernet ) core with its interrupt pin connected to the interrupt controller.

while executing
"error "ERROR: No Ethernet MAC cores are addressable from processor $cpuname. lwIP requires atleast one EMAC (xps_ethernetlite | xps_ll_temac | axi_et..."
(procedure "::sw_lwip141_v1_6::lwip_drc" line 37)
invoked from within
"::sw_lwip141_v1_6::lwip_drc lwip141"
ERROR: [Hsi 55-1440] Error(s) while running DRCs.

Does lwIP in the SDK have support for the TEMAC? Searches indicate that it used to, but I have not found any mention of recent support such as the 2016.3 tools. Has anyone had success with lwIP and the TEMAC in 2016.3?

Thanks,
Aric

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado 2016.3 SDK + Tri Mode Ethernet MAC + lwIP

Jump to solution

Hi

You need to use AXI Ethernet core instead of standalone core.

Refer below XAPP for reference design.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1026.pdf

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

You need to use AXI Ethernet core instead of standalone core.

Refer below XAPP for reference design.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1026.pdf

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer aricblumer
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply Satish.

I was confused a little by it because I had used “standalone” to refer to the non-OS software environment in the SDK, but I think you are referring to the instantiation of the Tri Mode Ethernet MAC by itself, and that is what I found to be the problem.

When doing a block design, there are multiple Ethernet solutions available in the IP listing if “Ethernet” is your search key. I was told we wanted to use the Tri Mode Ethernet MAC in our solution, but it turns out this is not what you want to select. Instead, you want to select “AXI 1G/2.5G Ethernet Subsystem,” which apparently uses the same evaluation license I obtained for the Tri Mode Ethernet MAC.

I wish to use the FIFO mode, so that is what I selected in the IP Automation, and the Connection Automation hooked everything up except interrupts. So I had also instantiate the AXI Interrupt Controller, because the lwIP driver would not compile in the board support package without it.

But there was no connection automation for the interrupts from the Ethernet Subsystem, so I am still not sure if the interrupts have been hooked up correctly.

The XAPP1026 is somewhat obsolete, but it may be useful as a reference. It does not mention the AXI 1G/2.5G Ethernet Subsystem IP.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Aric,

I have similar application where I need to use "AXI 1G/2.5G Ethernet Subsystem” (TEMAC) for LwIP.

So are you able to make a design?? If so, your suggestions on following will help me to proceed.

I am using ARTY board and following instructions given at...

https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/arty-getting-started-with-microblaze-servers/start

Except for Ethernet, where I am using "AXI 1G/2.5G Ethernet Subsystem” instead of "AXI Ethernet Lite”

1) Are you using DMA or FIFO based interface for AXI Ethernet?

2) How you connected your interrupts?

Thanks

Prashant

0 Kudos