cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado .MMI file generation bug

I have a Microblaze-based design and I am faced with a wrong .MMI file generation bug..The bug seems to appear when I have exactly two slaves on Local Memory Bus core. There is a similar topic related to Vivado 2016.4 (https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/Wrong-BMM-MMI-file-when-LMB-has-2-slaves/m-p/744895#M41026), but currently I have the problem in Vivado 2018.2 and 2019.1.

The way to reproduce the problem:

1. At first step I create block design based project with Microblaze and basic environment.

test1.png

In Address Editor I have following configuration.test1_mem.png

After generating this design I got correct .mmi file.

<AddressSpace Name="microblaze_0.microblaze_0_local_memory_dlmb_bram_if_cntlr" Begin="0" End="131071">

Generated top hdl module (bd/synth/bd.vhd) contains valid BMM_INFO_ADDRESS_SPACE attribute.

attribute BMM_INFO_ADDRESS_SPACE of dlmb_bram_if_cntlr : label is "byte 0x00000000 32 > bd microblaze_0_local_memory/ilmb_bram";

2. At second step I just add one bundle of lmb bram controller and block memory generator to the second dlmb_v10 slave interface.test2.png

New controller is mapped to 0x1000_0000. test2_mem.pngGenerating block design produces top hdl module which contains following strings:

attribute BMM_INFO_ADDRESS_SPACE of dlmb_bram_if_cntlr : label is "byte 0x00000000 32 > bd microblaze_0_local_memory/ilmb_bram bd microblaze_0_local_memory/dlmb_bram1";

attribute BMM_INFO_ADDRESS_RANGE of lmb_bram_if_cntlr_0 : label is " ";

As it seems to me Vivado missed information about lmb_bram_if_cntrl_0 address mapping and tied dlmb_bram1 to dlmb_bram_if_cntlr. In resulting .MMI file there is an information about just this dlmb_bram_if_cntrl with wrong size declaration. The size is seems to be a sum of microblaze_0_local_memory/ilmb_bram and microblaze_0_local_memory/dlmb_bram1 sizes.

<AddressSpace Name="microblaze_0.microblaze_0_local_memory_dlmb_bram_if_cntlr" Begin="0" End="163839">

3. The most interesting part is that Vivado starts to work properly when I make design more complex. To prove it I add one more lmb bundle to third dlmb_v10 slave interface and configure address mapping for new lmb controller.test3.png

test3_mem.pngIn this case Vivado generates correct hdl top module and correct .mmi file. Generated hdl module contains following attributes:

attribute BMM_INFO_ADDRESS_SPACE of dlmb_bram_if_cntlr : label is "byte 0x00000000 32 > bd microblaze_0_local_memory/ilmb_bram";
attribute BMM_INFO_ADDRESS_RANGE of lmb_bram_if_cntlr_0 : label is " ";
attribute BMM_INFO_ADDRESS_SPACE of lmb_bram_if_cntlr_0 : label is "byte 0x10000000 32 > bd microblaze_0_local_memory/dlmb_bram1";
attribute BMM_INFO_ADDRESS_SPACE of lmb_bram_if_cntlr_1 : label is "byte 0x20000000 32 > bd microblaze_0_local_memory/dlmb_bram2";

MMI file includes valid declarations for all address spaces:

<AddressSpace Name="microblaze_0.microblaze_0_local_memory_dlmb_bram_if_cntlr" Begin="0" End="131071">
<AddressSpace Name="microblaze_0.microblaze_0_local_memory_lmb_bram_if_cntlr_0" Begin="268435456" End="268468223">
<AddressSpace Name="microblaze_0.microblaze_0_local_memory_lmb_bram_if_cntlr_1" Begin="536870912" End="536879103">

I attached three projects and .mmi files for described cases.

P.S. To resolve the problem I can use custom .tcl script to generate proper .mmi. But I think Xilinx should finally fix the bug and make Vivado able to generate valid .mmi at least for such basic case.

0 Kudos
0 Replies