cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffsen
Explorer
Explorer

What is the proper procedure to implement IOBUF for user-ip in EDK?

Jump to solution

Hi, all,

I created my own OPB user IP which contains IO signals: my_io_input, my_io_output, my_io_en_b. The problem is how to implement the IOBUF for my IP?

Years ago I managed to set my PowerPC system(EDK project) as a sub-module in ISE project and in the ISE top level design, implement IOBUF which instantiates the above IO signals. However I believe this is not wise.

I saw somebody created the OPB IP and simply modified the .mpd file to add the IOBUF there. I tried, it works to some extent...  in case I modied the .mpd file before I import my IP to EDK, when I run the import user peripheral to EDK, what I have modified will be discarded and saved in //data_old folder. This should not be normal, is it?

Any other official/cleverer solutions?

Thanks in advance.

regards,
jeffsen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chadn_na
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

There are really two ways to do it

1 - Include the three tristate signals in your pcore (<sig>_O, <sig>_I, <sig>_T) and make these ports on your pcore.  Platgen, utility that creates HDL wrapper files, with instantiate an IOBUF.  In this case you will want to set THREE_STATE in your pcores MPD file to TRUE.  See psf_rm.dpf for more info on this parameter.  Note this is the way the EDK cores handle THREE STATE ports.

2- As you have already described, include the IOBUF in your pcore.  In this instance you will need to set THREE_STATE to false.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
golson
Scholar
Scholar

Hi,

I have been waiting to hear someone tell you the correct way to do it.  I do not understand why you can't instantiate a IOBUF Tristate component in your IPIF.

I have no tristates in my design.  But I do have Differential Drivers in my design and I was able to instatiate the components into my IPIF.

Thanks,

Gary

Message Edited by golson on 09-16-2008 04:32 PM
jeffsen
Explorer
Explorer

Hi, Gary,

thanks for your input.

Actually one of my colleague did the same as you mentioned. This is less trouble, while I still believe there should be some other way which is even conciser.

regards,

Jeffsen

0 Kudos
Chadn_na
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

There are really two ways to do it

1 - Include the three tristate signals in your pcore (<sig>_O, <sig>_I, <sig>_T) and make these ports on your pcore.  Platgen, utility that creates HDL wrapper files, with instantiate an IOBUF.  In this case you will want to set THREE_STATE in your pcores MPD file to TRUE.  See psf_rm.dpf for more info on this parameter.  Note this is the way the EDK cores handle THREE STATE ports.

2- As you have already described, include the IOBUF in your pcore.  In this instance you will need to set THREE_STATE to false.

View solution in original post

jeffsen
Explorer
Explorer

Hi, Chadn,

Thanks!

Actually I selected the option 2. In my case, the IO_input should connect with <sig>_o, which is also the output of my own IP, thus it's impossible to integrate the IOBUF in .mpd file, coze IO_input must be also type IN. Thus I designed another IO_interface module which implements the IOBUF and exactly maps the input signal(to this module) signal to IO_input...

regards,

jeffsen 

0 Kudos