Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

When do I need to create a new BSP?

Jump to solution

After I completed the hardware design in PlanAhead with assistance XPS, I switich to SDK to do software development. I need to create a BSP for software application. If I don't change the hardware design, does this mean the BSP can work for all software applications built for the hardware?

And if I changed the hardware design, should I delete the old BSP and create a new one? Or SDK will automatically update it?

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When do I need to create a new BSP?

Jump to solution

When you export from Planahead/Vivado, or XPS to SDK this will create a XML file. The XML describes your hardware system. The XML file is used in Libgen to see what IP you are using, to pull in the relevant drivers.

With this in mind, if you dont change your hw, then the XML wont change, thus the BSP wont change.

If you do change your hardware, you can re-export to SDK, this will update the XML file. Thne you can clean the project.

Project -> Clean, this will rebuild the BSP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

When you export from Planahead/Vivado, or XPS to SDK this will create a XML file. The XML describes your hardware system. The XML file is used in Libgen to see what IP you are using, to pull in the relevant drivers.

With this in mind, if you dont change your hw, then the XML wont change, thus the BSP wont change.

If you do change your hardware, you can re-export to SDK, this will update the XML file. Thne you can clean the project.

Project -> Clean, this will rebuild the BSP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution
Just realized another question. Are most these files in BSP are source codes for hardware drives?

Thanks.
0 Kudos