Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris007
Observer
Observer

Which files are basically needed for an ISE/XPS project

Hi,

to archive my ISE/XPS projects, I want to remove every file which can be generated and store only the files really needed to build a project from scratch.

Besides the vhdl source and ucf files, I think there are only the following ones needed:

ISE:

project.xise

XPS:

microblaze.xmp

microblaze.mhs

Opening the project in ISE works really fine, it automatically creates the file it needs again. But when I'm starting the implementation, the microblaze netlist is not generated automatically before beginning with the synthesis of the ISE project.

I have to open XPS from ISE, click on generate netlist, wait, run the implementation in ISE, microblaze netlist is not found again, click on implemenation in ISE again, now it finds the netlist but thinks it is outdated and generates in again (now directly in ISE), then it works. This workflow is reconstructable ;-)

So my question is how to tell ISE from the beginning that it has to generate the Microblaze netlist before it starts with the synthesis.

Many thanks for any suggestion!

Cheers

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pumaju1808
Scholar
Scholar

Hi,

Have you tried to go menu Project --> Clean Project Files ?? and then try implement again

0 Kudos
jeffrey.johnson
Voyager
Voyager

Hi,

I have written about what are the critical files for XPS and ISE projects here:

Using SVN with HDL designs

It's an important topic when you use an SVN. To answer your question, you are right to keep the .xmp and .mhs files, but you also need some others (.mss, .ucf at least). If you have used specific synthesis options then you want to keep everything in the 'etc' folder also. It also depends on your design, if you have IP cores that are local to the project, if you have a software application, etc.

0 Kudos
jab3
Observer
Observer

Re: the original poster's problem with XPS not running: In ISE, if you remove and re-add the .xmp file from the list of source files, it should run XPS.  Still a pain, but at least you can wander off while both XPS and ISE crunch through it.

Re: critical files: Why doesn't "clean project" already do this?  I would expect a "clean" project to contain just the files needed to recreate the implementation.  Instead, it leaves about 90 files, taking up 12 MB (8 MB of which is a guide.ncd file) (this is with 13.2 on a specific project; YMMV).

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Kudos
jab3
Observer
Observer

Thanks, but that's for SDK, and for 10.1.  I didn't start using EDK/SDK until 11, but I'm sure I didn't need those files for SDK.  The laptop that I use in the lab for SDK doesn't even have access to those files.  All I had to do was "Export to SDK" (or something like that) from EDK.

0 Kudos