Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Why can't I use lwIP in SDK 11.4?

Jump to solution

Hello everyone.

After successfully create the Hardware platform and the Software platform(Xilkernel), I am planning to add an lwIP application.Howeve, following the steps:

File->  new-> Managed Make C Application Project ->Sample Applications-> lwIP Echo Server, I've found red messages in the following box, which reads: "This application requires lwIP library in the software platform". My problem is this: Do I need to manually include the lwIP libraries in the software platform? If so, how? 

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Why can't I use lwIP in SDK 11.4?

Jump to solution
lwIP is part of the libraries of the EDK. So you don't have to download it manualy. Just open the platform settings and take a look.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi

Just set a hook on lwip in the "Software Platform Settings" under "OS and Library" and add "lwip4" in the library and the path to the lwip header files in the include paths of the properties of your application project.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thank you. But do I need to manually download the lwip4 files from the internet or are they already available in the Software Development Kit?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
lwIP is part of the libraries of the EDK. So you don't have to download it manualy. Just open the platform settings and take a look.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thank you ! I've solved my problem and the example code runs successfully. Thanks very much!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

i have successfully managed to create the hardware specification file to use lwIP and also the Xilkernel with lwIP library..however File -> New -> Xilinx C project doesnt show lwIP Echo server in the list of Project templates..im using sdk 12.1..could some1 direct me to wat could be wrong?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

The lwIP template app is not there in 12.1, but will be there in 12.2. Till then, you'd have to adapt XAPP 1026. As an alternative, you can use the project here. I tested it on SP605, but this obviously comes with no support and should be used just as a guideline.

http://github.com/vsiva/sp605-lwip/archives/master

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

thanks a lot for the files.Its given me the perfect platform to continue in that direction...meanwhile had a previous problem of porting xapp 1041 on the same board( sp605 ) especially to run the ethernet performance tests for the temac.would be of great help to me if u cud pls provide me the files pertaining to xapp 1041 with respect to sp605, as i tried working around a lot with the test applications generated but to no result..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

kimjoseph;

how u could continue in hte rigth direction, actually I have the same Xilinx EDK version (12.1) but Im lost now. I tried to paste the RAW API code in my aplication with my own UCF file and not works, would u oriente me in the right direction I m using a Virtex( SX50T) FPGA. If u have some code of interfacing ethernet with FPGA I will apreciate it

cheers ;)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I followed the next steps.

1) I created my microblaze with my virtex 5 characteristics with the BSB wizard on XPS. on periphal configuration I removed some tools like LEDs, Pushbuttons etc then I added  ( ethernet mac * use interrumps and xps_timer)

2) Project export hardware desing to SDK and i click in export and launch SDK

3) on SDK with my hardware description (xlm file) I create standalone and I added lwIP library

4) Then on standalone I imported the echoes server aplication of the file (vsiva-sp605-lwip-ec473c2\lwip_echo_server_0)

5) I got an error in main() file on this statement

if (!xemac_add(netif, &ipaddr, &netmask, &gw, mac_ethernet_address, PLATFORM_EMAC_BASEADDR)) {

so i switched XPAR_SOFT_TEMAC_CHAN_0_BASEADDR for my EMAC_BASEADDR declarated on my xparameters.h file generated by my microblaze on plataform_config.h.

6) I program FPGA (Xilinx Tools/ Program FPGA)

and when i want  to debug the project and launch on hardware I got the next error

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unexpected error while lauching program/Error downloading program to target :

Memory access error while loading section .text.

on console

.gdbinit: No such file or directory.
Memory access error while loading section .text.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used and linker script for using DDR RAM memory and then i got the next error

Unexpected error while launching program: null
java.lang.NullPointerException

Now here im lost any idea???? actually i dont understand what this error means

please if someone could help me I will apreciate so much,  and sorry if there is a silly mistake but im triying to resolve the problem and im newbie on microblaze an ethernet interfacing as well

or any aplication note useful (I have already read xapp1026 twice but for EDK 12.1 its a little bit dificult to understand)

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

1. If you use the ethernetlite core (xps_ethernet and not the xps_ll_temac !!!) than you have to search for something like "XPAR_ETHERNET_MAC_BASEADDR" in your xparameters.h and past it as the argument of the xemac_add() function.

2. The application code you added to your project...was it the socket or the raw code? For using the lwIP in socket mode you need the xilinx kernel (xilkernel). Otherwise it wont work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

thanks for your reponse

berufspenner

1. yes im using ethernetlite core xps_ethernet;

I past the argument of the xemac_add() function on step 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so I switched XPAR_SOFT_TEMAC_CHAN_0_BASEADDR for my EMAC_BASEADDR declarated on my xparameters.h file generated by my microblaze on platform_config.h.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Raw code with standalone...   

for using LwIP in RAW code can I use xilkernel as well? or it works just on standalone... ??????

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

1. "XPAR_SOFT_TEMAC_CHAN_0_BASEADDR" is the wrong one because this makro should aim the the base address of the temac (tri-mode ethernet mac) but the xps_ethernet just supports 10 und 100 Mbit. So search for the ethernet macro I told you in my last posting.

2. Yes, it's possible the use the RAW API with xilkernel.

0 Kudos