cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 IoT Core BSP for Zynq 7000 series SoCs

We are planning to develop a product based on zynq 7000 series SoC, that runs Windows 10 IoT Core OS on the board. As per the information available, currently Xilinx is not providing BSP for Windows 10 IoT. What is the effort required to port the bare-metal BSP to Windows 10 IoT? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ibaie
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi bvishwam@ectron.com 

I think that there are two main tasks/concepts that you need to separate for integration:

1. Windows 10 IoT core port for Zynq-7000
  2. Integration of the port in SDK

The port of the IoT core might require quite a lot of effort depending on the existing work. I'm not familiar with Windows 10 IoT core but is there any exisiting ARM port? any ARMv7? Cortex-a53? Zynq-7000?

The integration within the SDK might be bit easier, you just need to create a BSP library in a similiar way we do with freeRTOS.

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

As a quick answer, I'd say if you have to ask , then you are a long way from the level to do this. It needs a good amount of expertise,
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos

Hi ibaie,

Windows 10 IoT core has support for ARM-v7, and Cortex-A53 but they it doesn't have port for Zynq 7000. Raspberry Pi-2 and 3 boards have BSP available for Windows 10 IoT Core. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ibaie
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi bvishwam@ectron.com

That mean that the porting effort might be quite high, I mean, you need to port the core for Cortex-A9 (I mentioned A53 in the past but just realize you are talking about Zynq-7000) and also for the device by itself.

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Are you planning to port windows 10 to the zynq,
that would be great to see as a proof of concept,
I'm impressed, its a lot of man hours to do,
I look forward to hearing your progress.
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos

Hi Ibaie,

Thank you for the reply.

I think the Windows IoT Core has port for Cortex-A9, because it supports NXP i.MX 6 which based on Cortex-A9. We need to port for Zynq 7000 device.

Is there any guide available in Xilinx documentation for SDK integration of the new OS support (for BSP generation)?

Thanks 

0 Kudos

Hi drjohnsmith,

Thank you for your inputs.

Not decided yet on the porting windows 10 iot core to zynq, I am still not aware of many things and concerned about amount of time and effort. I will keep posting questions.

Thanks 

0 Kudos