UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 + SDK 2015.1 = Sadness

Jump to solution

Colleagues,

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 and since then my installation of SDK 2015.2 complains ceaslessly as follows:

ERROR: This host does not have the appropriate Microsoft Visual C++
       redistributable packages installed.

Launching installer: "C:/Xilinx/SDK/2015.1\tps\win64\xvcredist.exe"

The problem is that the redist is in fact installed. It offers me the option of repairing my installation, which I do accept but to no avail - SDK never starts.  Several reboots have done nothing to help.

Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Windows 10 + SDK 2015.1 = Sadness

Jump to solution

Here, in fact, is a better solution without the diifuclties you described and, of course, lacking the wit.

Go to the Microsoft website and download the latest Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4 from this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

Download the variant for your platform and note the download location so you can find it later (it will likely be called vcredist<some platform-specific name>.exe)

When complete, copy the downloaded image and over the one supplied in the Xilixn installation you are using.  So in my case, where I was using the 2015.1 release on a 64 bit variant, I copied the downloaded image (vcredist_x64.exe) to C:\Xilinx\SDK\2015.1\tps\win64

After you have dome that, first, uninstall any prior image of this redistributable in the usual way (Control Panel->Programs->Uninstall) and then start SDK

It will prompt you to install the redistributable. Agree to do so and accept all the usual licenses. It will likely prompt you to reboot.  Please do so.

After reboot, when you start SDK again, all will be well.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Probably a library versioning issue.

Not surprising since windows 10 isn't supported yet. Page 9:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_2/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf
www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

That may be an explanation but it is not a solution. Windows 10 is now installed on at least 67,000,000 PCs and that number is increasing substantially each day. What is the solution and when will it be available?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Windows 10 is now installed on at least 67,000,000 PCs and that number is increasing substantially each day

There's 10x that many Android users, but I wouldn't count on getting Vivado on your phone any time soon :).

In all seriousness. Xilinx will keep up with important OS releases, but that doesn't mean it will happen instantly. Things need to be tested.

For a recent anecdote, Windows 8 came out in October 2012 (thank you, wiki). Vivado supported it starting in 2014.1 release which was first quarter of calendar year 2014.

By contrast, from wiki on windows 10:

Officially unveiled in September 2014 following a brief demo at Build 2014, the
operating system entered a public beta testing process in October 2014, leading up to
and continuing through the consumer release of Windows 10 on July 29, 2015,[2] and its
release to volume licensing on August 1, 2015

So it's been out less than 2 weeks...

What is the solution and when will it be available?

The solution is to use a supported OS until windows 10 support has been announced.

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Snark isn't a solution, either.

Pre-release versions of Windows 10 have been available to developers for some time and its release date was well publicised and Microsoft's intent to push it quickly was also not a secret. Xilinx ought not be taken by surprise in this case.

I don't have the luxury of rolling back or buying a PC just to do Xilinx work.

How about trying again with less 'wit' and more help 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

I was speaking tongue-in-cheek and admittedly being a little hyperbolic to help illustrate my point. I sincerely apologize if it was not in good taste. No offense intended.

I can understand the frustration. I am only trying to show that it takes resources and time to solve these things. If you notice from my previous data, there was more than a year cycle time between the public release of windows 8 and Vivado support for it. Vivado is a major piece of software and it's not trivial to add new OS support.

Your local FAE would be more than happy to take your feedback so the marketing folks can make informed decisions about development and testing priorities.

Some other possible solutions for you might be to use a VM or something like this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

I don't know if similar is available for windows 10, but it may be a good solution for the time being.

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Here, in fact, is a better solution without the diifuclties you described and, of course, lacking the wit.

Go to the Microsoft website and download the latest Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4 from this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

Download the variant for your platform and note the download location so you can find it later (it will likely be called vcredist<some platform-specific name>.exe)

When complete, copy the downloaded image and over the one supplied in the Xilixn installation you are using.  So in my case, where I was using the 2015.1 release on a 64 bit variant, I copied the downloaded image (vcredist_x64.exe) to C:\Xilinx\SDK\2015.1\tps\win64

After you have dome that, first, uninstall any prior image of this redistributable in the usual way (Control Panel->Programs->Uninstall) and then start SDK

It will prompt you to install the redistributable. Agree to do so and accept all the usual licenses. It will likely prompt you to reboot.  Please do so.

After reboot, when you start SDK again, all will be well.

0 Kudos
Visitor etb513
Visitor

Jump to solution

Neil, As much as you might not appreciate bwiec's "snark", I don't think you were being particularly polite or even reasonable, yourself.

He's making a very good point in that Windows 10 has been out for a whopping two weeks. Complex engineering tools like Vivado take time to update to work on new platforms. I wouldn't expect official Windows 10 support until at least the v2016.1 release, going by previous history.

I've already made a forum post asking if people have had any luck with unofficial workarounds to get the tools up and running. Sounds like some people have had luck without too much extra effort required. I'm glad that you have also found a solution for your particular issue.

That said, one has to wonder why you would migrate what is presumably a professional workstation to a brand new operating system mere weeks after release, and in particular doing so without prior verification that critical software is supported on said operating system...

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks for your comments.

As member of a small consultancy I found myself pulled between two requirements of having to supply W10 solutions and also using tools that may or may not support W10 (and generally these are for different clients). As I indicated previously, I have generally found that large corporations with establiished market presence were aware of and ready for Microsoft's much heralded and knwn-to-be aggressive release of W10 and were long plugged in to Microsoft's lengthy pre-release and verification cycle (about 11 months, as I recall). I expected that upgrading to W10 to suit my immediate requirements would not result in suddenly broken applications. And, in fact, Xilinx's SDK was the only such anomaly.

0 Kudos
Newbie jmmogollon

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your contribution Neil, it worked for me.

0 Kudos
Newbie olebon00

Jump to solution

It's really amazing that even after several years the issue still pops up. None of the solutions worked for me except for opening C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.1\bin\loader.bat and searching for the key word "redistributable". Then I removed whole paragraph for the c++ redistributable update and everything is OK now.

0 Kudos
Newbie xiaofei2016

Jump to solution

thank you,  i have the same problem with vivado 2017.01 on win10, now it works

0 Kudos
Visitor chrispbarlow
Visitor

Jump to solution

I just came across this problem (I echo that, after 2 years a reported problem like this should be resolved).

The problem seems to be that it is still looking for the 32 bit version of xvcredist on 64 bit machines.

If you open loader.bat

(For the SDK this is in C:\Xilinx\SDK\2017.1\bin\loader.bat)

and change line 115:

set XVREDIST=%RDI_APPROOT%\tps\%RDI_PLATFORM%\xvcredist.exe

to

set XVREDIST=%RDI_APPROOT%\tps\%RDI_PLATFORM%\xvcredist_64.exe

The application launches without complaining.

0 Kudos