Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

XPS: Rendering of custom Bus IP-Core

Hi,

We are currently working on an FPGA Design, which contains an IP-Core for a custom Bus. The design synthesis works as expected, but we have some questions related to the rendering in XPS:

1. The Bus Master is rendered in red. The Legend does not describe what this means.
  2. There are two vertical lines for each bus added. This gets very confusing when many buses are used. How can we disable the rendering of the second vertical line?
  3. Is it possible to add a description at the top of the bus window, similar to the one for LMB and PLB?

-- Sebastian

custom-bus-screenshot.PNG

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing exactly the same behavior when I try to create a custom bus. For me it looks like this:

bus.png

I have the same issues as you:

1. The master connector is rendered in red
  2. There is a second vertical line rendered for each bus.
  3. It is not possible to set a descriptor at the top (or a color),

In addition, I made the following observations:

1. When I add only the bus peripheral (not any masters or slaves belonging to the bus), no representation of the bus is rendered. Only after I add peripherals belonging to the bus do the vertical lines appear.
  2. In addition, when I add the bus peripheral without having added masters or slaves first, I get the following error message:error.png
  3. When I have multiple custom bus standards, XPS does not discriminate between them. In the picture above, I have ptr_bus and (for testing) abc, which defines a different bus standard. However, in the bus view I can connect my ptr_bus masters and slaves to either bus.
  4. This behavior appears in EDK 14.4, and at least as early as 12.4.
  5. This behavior in only related to buses using master/slave, not point-to-point buses (using initiator/target).

Can you confirm any of these points? To me it looks as if the handling of custom buses in XPS has been inherently broken from the start, and I am afraid it is such a niche application that it will not be fixed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

This error is still present in XPS 14.5.
0 Kudos