cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
obruendl_psi
Adventurer
Adventurer

XSCT importprojects without "Copy projects into workspace"

When adding projects to a workspace in SDK, the standard behavior is that the project is linked (i.e. the files are not copied into the workspace but edited at the location they are). XSCT seems to always copy the files into the workspace when running the command "importprojects". Unfortunately this is not what I need (and as far as I know not the common usecase anyway).

How can I import projects into  a workspace without copying them in XSCT?

Best Regards,

Oliver

16 Replies
arpansur

Hi @obruendl_psi,

With the existing XSCT commands, it will copy the project into the workspace while importing the projects, unlike the GUI option.

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
obruendl_psi
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @arpansur

Yes, this is absolutely clear to me (as I wrote in my post). The point is that this is not the common use-case. Usually the project sources shall be modified in place (i.e. linked project, not copied projects). Are there any plans to implement this?

Background:

Unfortunately the .mss file of a BSP must be checked in into version control systems for the project to build correctly. Whenever I change the bitstream, the .mss is modified during the update_hw/generate_bsp/build flow I execute from scripts. XSCT operates on copies of the project, the version controlled .mss file is not changed and the next build will fail.

Of course I can just manually copy the changed .mss back to the original project as workaround. But an option "-link" or "-donotcopy" or something like that should be added to the XSCT importprojects command. As far as I know that is the most common use-case, so XSCT should support it. 

arpansur

Hi @obruendl_psi,

Yes, I understand your requirement.

We are checking your requirement and will update you once I hear from the concerned team. 

Thanks,
Arpan
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
maddyaby
Visitor
Visitor

Has there been any update on this? I would also really like this feature.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
ghammes
Visitor
Visitor

I would really like to see this import without copy option added to xsct also.   Any update?

0 Kudos
matthewlh
Observer
Observer

I would also like to see this feature implemented by Xilinx.

0 Kudos
wayne.punchak
Observer
Observer

@arpansur any news? Our team could really use this too...
0 Kudos
epeach
Contributor
Contributor

+1 for this feature. I wish it was as easy to script SDK as it is Vivado!

adrian.h
Explorer
Explorer

I would also like this feature available.

0 Kudos
kpage
Observer
Observer

I would also like to see this feature.  Please.

0 Kudos
xinyiz
Contributor
Contributor

+1  I also want this feature to be added.

0 Kudos
richardcz
Visitor
Visitor

Hi I also want this feature. Is there any progress, workaround? It limits the project organisation.

0 Kudos
shahar-hamo

hi

is there any workaround for this ?

0 Kudos
stevendabner
Visitor
Visitor

I made the files read only, then did the project import then made the files writeable again. This worked for source files .c, .h etc

0 Kudos
stephenm
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You could just create a simple script that would update the makefile with the file paths instead of the * that it uses.

0 Kudos

+1 Any update to this?

0 Kudos