Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keithpenney
Visitor
Visitor

XSCT standalone download/install?

Jump to solution

Can I download/install the XSCT cli tools separately (without Vitis/Vivado) for application development targeting an existing microblaze platform?

I've recently switched my workflow to majority remote (as have many people lately).  I am working on a lightweight laptop as a quasi-zero-client - all my heavy software is on a remote desktop.  I have some custom hardware here with me based on the Artix-7 series FPGA and I'm making some changes to the firmware for the synthesized Microblaze processor.  My workflow has become a little clunky for a few reasons:

• Complete install is too heavy (requires ~100GB, roughly 40% of my entire SSD).
  • Unified installer can't install Vitis without Vivado.
  • XSCT cli tools are not available as a separate standalone install (perhaps I can surgically copy them from my existing Vitis install on my remote computer, but that sounds like a nightmare).

The best solutions I can come up with right now is to set up a hardware server on laptop, then use hardware server as remote target for MDM on remote desktop.  This is fine but I'd much rather be able to install the cli tool suite (XSCT, mb-gcc, XDM) separately without the bulk of Vivado and the Eclipse junk that comes with Vitis.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ibaie
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @keithpenney 

You are right, XSCT tools cannot be anymore installed without Vivado under the hood, as the unified platform relies on quite a lot on the underlying services. As former embedded developer I do acknowledge the pain point of this installation specially if you just want to do small developments, so I do actively report this issue for future releases.

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ibaie
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @keithpenney 

You are right, XSCT tools cannot be anymore installed without Vivado under the hood, as the unified platform relies on quite a lot on the underlying services. As former embedded developer I do acknowledge the pain point of this installation specially if you just want to do small developments, so I do actively report this issue for future releases.

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post