UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer _reis220
Observer

XSDB crash when launching debugger

Hello everyone,

I am using a ZCU104 board. When i try to debug via JTAG a program of mine using XSDK, the debugger cannot do any instruction step nor run, and it hangs whenever i select any element of the Debug view (APU or any core).

Then, if i kill hw_server process, the debugger loses the connection and XSDK stops hanging. If instead of debugging, i run the program, it will not hang.

Is this problem related to hw_server? How can i solve this? This is really frustrating because i want to debug the program but i can't (a week ago, there was no problem related to the debugger but from then on it stopped working).

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: XSDB crash when launching debugger

Hi @_reis220,

Can you provide some additional details

• After you launch debug, does the program stop at main, and misbehave when you try to debug from that point, or does it not reach main at all
  • Have you tried to debug from the entry point (there is an option in debug config to stop the core at program entry)
  • Since you say, it used to work a week ago, has anything changed since then (design, memory map, linker script, etc.)

Debug and run, both use xsdb/hw_server. The only difference b/w debug and run from GUI's perspective is that a breakpoint is planted at main(), before its resumed from start address

0 Kudos
Observer _reis220
Observer

Hello, thanks for the answer!

The error occurs during a debug session right when i click on debug window in debug’s perspective (either it can be selecting a core or a cpu), otherwise the xsdk doesn’t crash. Also, i cannot run the program when debugging (the run/pause button appears colored but when i click it doesn’t do anything) so it doesn’t reach main neither program entry.

Since a week ago, nothing has changed in the program. I started to have another problems like, i had to terminate hw_server process to be able to connect again to target, because when the program crashed when launching debug, i had to terminate xsdk, and when i opened xsdk again to connect to the target, as hw_server would remain active between xsdk sessions, it would not let me connect again to the target.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @_reis220,

Would you be able to provide a testcase. It seems like there is a problem with memory accesses, but I dont know how that could happen when running the app (w/o debug) works

0 Kudos
Observer _reis220
Observer

What kind of testcase would you like me to provide you? A screen video of my procedure to get the crash?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Sorry, not a video, but a HDF + test application that I can build and run to reproduce the problem

0 Kudos
Observer _reis220
Observer

Attached is the hdf file and the script i use to initiate the debug session (zcuinitscript.tcl)

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi @_reis220,

I'm able to run a simple freertos app with your design, but your script is downloading other bin files. What are these files? Would you be able to send them? Or, is this problem reproducible with any other simple test/app? Also, you're running osa command with one of the elf files. osa is supported only for Linux, but it shouldn't cause issues with other images 

0 Kudos
Observer _reis220
Observer

The code that i'm running on the board is an hypervisor. The bins that i am loading are the hypervisor and the guest image. Unfortunately, i cannot send you the code as it is confidential.

But, even when i use other code, the debug gets stuck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @_reis220,

Which other code is causing this issue? Will you be able to share it? I have tried few apps, but couldn't reporduce this. I have a suspicion I'm doing something different from you

0 Kudos