cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jluisgt
Observer
Observer

XSDK 2015.4 is displaying wrong characters (at any baudrate)

Jump to solution

After some workarouds was possible to put Vivado 2015.4 to work in Linux Mint 18.1. x64. Just one more issue. The SDK terminal is showing wrong characters (at any baudrate) as output. 

The next is the output of the Mem test example. The console is not showing any error message.

Captura de pantalla de 2017-01-14 13-30-14.png

Any idea why this is happening?

Best regards.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jluisgt
Observer
Observer

It turned out that, at least as of 2015.4 version of Vivado, the Zynq input frequency, as well as CPU and DDR, take a wrong configuration. The input frequency is 33 MHz when it should be 50 MHz, and the CPU and DDR clocks are at 666 and 533 MHz, respectively, when they should be at 650 and 525 MHz. This happens even when we add the Zybo as one of the board parts to the Software (why still no included by default?). Another problem is that the Zynq had indicated a wrong model of DDR, the correct one for the Zybo is the MT41K128M16 JT-125. I add an image with the appropriate settings for the Zybo rev. B.

Captura de pantalla de 2017-01-21 20-35-55.png

Captura de pantalla de 2017-01-21 21-35-07.png

I think the "Unsopported OS" answer is at least inconsiderate, when obviously doesn't look like that was not the problem. The previous versions we used of Vivado (2014.2, 2015.2) have worked on Linux Mint (with minor workarounds). However, to discard that factor, the same version was installed by a friend in Ubuntu 16.04 with the same results.

I do not think that attitude is helping to give a good diffusion to your product, and sincerely the fact that a design that worked with a previous version stopped doing it when upgrading, but mainly the null orientation that was given regarding some possible solution or a cause of the problem has left me the terrible feeling that users are not among the main points that Xilinx pays attention to.

I do not see the utility of releasing 4 versions a year that still require the same adjustments that two years ago to work. I would prefer two updates, or even one a year, but with a mature and reliable software that really fixes errors reported on innumerable occasions by users. Serial communication has never worked out of the box without have to change de librxtxSerial.so.

You are the largest company in FPGA's and personally think that your hardware is of high quality, but it takes many points out to know in advance that your software will not work immediately after installation.

Best regards.

PD 1: It would be very useful to publish a installation guide for each operating system supported in each release of the software.

PD 2: In the latest versions, at least in Linux, Vivado does not work if some 32-bit libraries are not installed. Can not be included in the installation file?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jluisgt
Observer
Observer

This was the connection setup. The output is very similar with 9600 bps and some others.

Captura de pantalla de 2017-01-14 13-38-44.png

0 Kudos
debrajr
Linux Mint 18.1 is not a supported OS for SDK tools. Please use a supported OS.

Microsoft Windows Support
• Windows 7 and 7 SP1 Professional (64-bit), English/Japanese.
• Windows 8.1 Professional (64-bit), English/Japanese.
• Vivado® Lab Edition is the only Xilinx toolset that supports Windows 7 SP1
Professional, 32-bit Operating System. Lab Edition also supports the 64-bit systems.
Linux Support
• Red Hat Enterprise Workstation 7.0 (64-bit)
• Red Hat Enterprise Workstation 6.5-6.6 (64-bit)
• Red Hat Enterprise Workstation 5.10 (64-bit)
• SUSE Linux Enterprise 11.3 and 12.0 (64-bit)
• Cent OS 6.6 and 7.0 (64-bit)
• Ubuntu Linux 14.04.2 LTS (64-bit)
• Vivado Lab Edition is the only Xilinx toolset that supports the Red Hat Enterprise
Workstation 6.5-6.6, 32-bit Operating Systems. Lab Edition also supports the 64-bit
systems.
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
jluisgt
Observer
Observer

Upgrated to Vivado 2016.4 at Ubuntu 16.04. Now it doesn't display anything and don't recognize breakpoints. Any advice?

0 Kudos
jluisgt
Observer
Observer

It turned out that, at least as of 2015.4 version of Vivado, the Zynq input frequency, as well as CPU and DDR, take a wrong configuration. The input frequency is 33 MHz when it should be 50 MHz, and the CPU and DDR clocks are at 666 and 533 MHz, respectively, when they should be at 650 and 525 MHz. This happens even when we add the Zybo as one of the board parts to the Software (why still no included by default?). Another problem is that the Zynq had indicated a wrong model of DDR, the correct one for the Zybo is the MT41K128M16 JT-125. I add an image with the appropriate settings for the Zybo rev. B.

Captura de pantalla de 2017-01-21 20-35-55.png

Captura de pantalla de 2017-01-21 21-35-07.png

I think the "Unsopported OS" answer is at least inconsiderate, when obviously doesn't look like that was not the problem. The previous versions we used of Vivado (2014.2, 2015.2) have worked on Linux Mint (with minor workarounds). However, to discard that factor, the same version was installed by a friend in Ubuntu 16.04 with the same results.

I do not think that attitude is helping to give a good diffusion to your product, and sincerely the fact that a design that worked with a previous version stopped doing it when upgrading, but mainly the null orientation that was given regarding some possible solution or a cause of the problem has left me the terrible feeling that users are not among the main points that Xilinx pays attention to.

I do not see the utility of releasing 4 versions a year that still require the same adjustments that two years ago to work. I would prefer two updates, or even one a year, but with a mature and reliable software that really fixes errors reported on innumerable occasions by users. Serial communication has never worked out of the box without have to change de librxtxSerial.so.

You are the largest company in FPGA's and personally think that your hardware is of high quality, but it takes many points out to know in advance that your software will not work immediately after installation.

Best regards.

PD 1: It would be very useful to publish a installation guide for each operating system supported in each release of the software.

PD 2: In the latest versions, at least in Linux, Vivado does not work if some 32-bit libraries are not installed. Can not be included in the installation file?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos