Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1keith1
Participant
Participant

XST trimming I/O signals

Jump to solution

I'm getting constraint errors similar to the one in this solution: http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/34900.html Where the tool doesn't think the I/O signals are drivers or loads and so it removes them.

I've tried modifying the system_xst.scr file and setting '-iobuf YES' where previously it was set to NO, but this still doesn't solve my problem. I did this according to this solution: http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/52274.html

What else can I do to prevent these signals from being trimmed? Do I just need to use the KEEP commands on my ucf?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
1keith1
Participant
Participant

Update: 
I wasn't able to resolve this so I just created a new project, in the same way, and now these errors/warnings are gone.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
balkris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
The work-around is to instantiate IBUF and OBUF in the HDL code manually.
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
htsvn
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi,

would that be possible to let us know if the error is on the top-level signals or internal signals?

are these signals driving/or being driven by any logic?

--hs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
1keith1
Participant
Participant

Here is a photo of the errors:

Capture.PNG

These signals are at the top level, listed as external ports:

Capture1.PNG

Yes they are driving logic, a TEMAC hard core and a DDR2 controller. This is on a virtex 5.

On my system.v file I have:

(* KEEP = "TRUE" *) input xps_ll_temac_0_RGMII_RX_CTL_0_pin;
(* KEEP = "TRUE" *) input [3:0] xps_ll_temac_0_RGMII_RXD_0_pin;
(* KEEP = "TRUE" *) output xps_ll_temac_0_TemacPhy_RST_n_pin;
(* KEEP = "TRUE" *) output [3:0] xps_ll_temac_0_RGMII_TXD_0_pin; ...

and in my system.ucf I have:

NET xps_ll_temac_0_TemacPhy_RST_n_pin                         LOC = G38 | IOB = true | KEEP;
NET xps_ll_temac_0_RGMII_TXD_0_pin<0>                         LOC = R38 | IOB = true | KEEP;
NET xps_ll_temac_0_RGMII_TXD_0_pin<1>                         LOC = P38 | IOB = true | KEEP;
NET xps_ll_temac_0_RGMII_TXD_0_pin<2>                         LOC = N38 | IOB = true | KEEP;
NET xps_ll_temac_0_RGMII_TXD_0_pin<3>                         LOC = M38 | IOB = true | KEEP;

0 Kudos
1keith1
Participant
Participant

Update: 
I wasn't able to resolve this so I just created a new project, in the same way, and now these errors/warnings are gone.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos