UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor kevinevans
Visitor

Xilinx SDK 2018.2 crashes quietly

I'm using Xilinx 2018.2 and it just will randomly exit without any error messages. I'm using it on Windows 10, x64. It's a pretty new Windows installation and there's plenty of available memory. I noticed that in workspace/metadata/.log, it has this as the last entry, and I'm assuming that it's the cause. Is there a work around for this? I've tried running it both with admin and non-admin privileges.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.cdt.core 4 0 2018-09-06 15:43:36.294
!MESSAGE Error
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.ConsoleOutputSniffer.processLine(ConsoleOutputSniffer.java:178)
	at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.ConsoleOutputSniffer.access$0(ConsoleOutputSniffer.java:174)
	at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.ConsoleOutputSniffer$ConsoleOutputStream.checkLine(ConsoleOutputSniffer.java:99)
	at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.ConsoleOutputSniffer$ConsoleOutputStream.write(ConsoleOutputSniffer.java:58)
	at java.io.OutputStream.write(OutputStream.java:75)
	at org.eclipse.cdt.core.CommandLauncher.printCommandLine(CommandLauncher.java:287)
	at org.eclipse.cdt.core.CommandLauncher.waitAndRead(CommandLauncher.java:250)
	at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.BuildRunnerHelper.build(BuildRunnerHelper.java:273)
	at org.eclipse.cdt.make.core.MakeBuilder.invokeMake(MakeBuilder.java:219)
	at org.eclipse.cdt.make.core.MakeBuilder.build(MakeBuilder.java:108)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$2.run(BuildManager.java:735)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:206)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:246)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$1.run(BuildManager.java:301)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:304)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuildLoop(BuildManager.java:360)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.build(BuildManager.java:383)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.doBuild(AutoBuildJob.java:144)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.run(AutoBuildJob.java:235)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

Edit: I resolved the issue by installing Xilinx SDK to a Linux distro since the Windows version is unusable.

37 Replies

Re: Xilinx SDK 2018.2 crashes quietly

Hi @kevinevans,

Are you using the serial console feature in the SDK? Seems that it might be related. If so you can test using an external serial console (teraterm, putty) so you can isolate the issue.

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos

@kevinevans : Please delete .Xilinx folder completely and try again
Best Regards,
Nutan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as a solution
0 Kudos
Visitor csouthwell
Visitor

Nutang,

Which .Xilinx folder are you referring too?

I'm experiencing the quiet crash when I change the serial_flash_family value from 1 to 5 and then click OK.

It never used to happen, until I changed to version of xilisf from 5.8 to 5.11.

SDK 2018.2, Vivado 2018.2,  no other installations of these tools.

Chad

0 Kudos
Observer diqua
Observer

I have same problem with SDK 2018.1, 2018.2, 2018.2.1 with different PC with windows 10-x64.

A build of "C" project from scratch works fine. In case of remove file/folder from workspace the automatic rebuild cause crash. After crash the SDK cannot restart because workspace is corrupted. the workaround is (1) remove SDK workspace folder, (2) start SDK and disable automatic rebuild (3) import projects from current folder (4) execute build manually. In case of crash, the SDK can restart because automatic build is disabled. 

This procedure is quite boring and finally I decided to uninstall Vivado 2018.x and use 2017.4.

Adventurer
Adventurer

As i wrote in another message i have exact the same problem. In my case after a crahs when i restart SDK it comes up

with an Java-Error, when i click "Restart" it can continue working. But as you said it is extremly boring !

0 Kudos
Visitor pepijntje
Visitor

Exactly same story : SDK 2018.2 crashes too frequently on new laptop Win10

But on old laptop Win7 it NEVER NEVER NEVER crashes.

Maybe Windows 10 related ?

0 Kudos
Visitor rfeneon
Visitor

Same thing here, the SDK 2018.2 exits systematically (without any message) when I try to delete a project from a workspace, or if I try to delete a file from a project. I can restart the SDK but the delete operation was not done, so it's pratically impossible to delete any file or project. I'm on Windows 10 64-bit.

Observer leavesw
Observer

Same problem here - and it effectively make the tool impossible to use!

Just found a walk-around that worked so far:

Deselect "Build Automatically" under "Project" as soon as you start SDK after exporting hardware and before creating any C project using wizard.

0 Kudos
Visitor rfeneon
Visitor

I've also disabled the "Build Automatically" feature, but it makes no difference. I've also some crashes when adding files to a project, or when lauching the debugger...

Contributor
Contributor

Same here. Crashes quietly (just "poof!"). No error messages...

Also running Windows 10 64-bit.   Mine crashes when I attempt to create a new application (e.g. a new "Hello World"), or when I delete a previous application and the BSP associated with it.  

Not sure if it's relevant, but the SDK project I'm using (and having trouble with) was created in a previous version (2015.4) and upgraded to 2018.2.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if this helps, but it seems to be an Eclipse access violation issue with MSCTF.DLL:

Faulting application name: eclipse.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x573c7dbf
Faulting module name: MSCTF.dll, version: 10.0.17134.285, time stamp: 0x7cd940c6
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000001ebf9
Faulting process id: 0x10f0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d45c0dfa2fb4bc
Faulting application path: C:\Xilinx\SDK\2018.2\eclipse\win64.o\eclipse.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSCTF.dll
Report Id: f92e09dc-40dd-429f-a2fd-5907fdf0a53c

0 Kudos

Vivado 2018.2 and Xilinx SDK are rock solid in Fedora 28 but slowly killing me in Windows 10. The most frustrating part is that the crashing SDK issue doesn't happen on every computer running Windows 10 but it does happen to a lot. There must be a difference. My laptop at home experiences the SDK crash in Windows 10 every few minutes where as my laptop at work practically never experiences a crash.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This might be due to the windows periodic updates are not applied to the PCs. At our work also we have never experienced any crash on Windows 10. Please do apply the windows updates and let us know if you still see the crash.

Regards,
Raju
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

All updates were correct and in time installed !

Crash stays !

0 Kudos
Visitor rfeneon
Visitor

I've all windows updates applyied, and it still crashes regulary.

I can easilly reproduce the problem by deleting a project in a workspace: the crash is systematic. Let me know if you need more information that would help you to reproduce and solve that problem.

Contributor
Contributor

I've been seeing this as well since installing 2018.2. I'm on a Windows10 x64 VMware virtual machine with 5 GB RAM.  I already usually disable "Build Automatically".  I see the issue about 50% of the time when adding an application project (File | New | Application Project).  It also happened just now when I asked it to regenerate BSP after I changed Repositories to point to a different local FreeRTOS customized repo.

FYI, I have done a lot of Eclipse-based development and usually keep my workspaces in a location under C:\Users\Jsam\xil_wksp\001\  002, 003, and so forth.  Eclipse workspaces in my judgment are very lightweight, are "easy-come, easy-go" and should never be checked in to version control and should be kept away from the real project files (.project, .cproject) and source code.  This was a very successful policy for me when using TI CodeComposerStudio, which is very much like Xilinx SDK.

0 Kudos
Visitor etl17
Visitor

Same issue here.

The 2018.2 Vivado SDK (and only the SDK) will crash quietly when creating new a project or renaming a file in a project. I wonder if the issue is related to accessing the file system specifically on Windows 10. 

Contributor
Contributor

Some additional observations in case this helps the Xilinx development team. 

On Windows 10, I see this crash much more readily if I have opened a build log in Wordpad to view results and not closed Wordpad before making project changes or building again. 

In another case, I believe a project Clean... resulted in SDK shutting down because Windows Explorer was displaying the workspace directory where the build log files reside (thus locking them from deletion?).

Perhaps SDK is not gracefully handling file access errors thrown up by Windows 10?

0 Kudos

Has this issue been officially acknowledged by Xilinx yet? It seems to be too big to ignore.

Observer tau2015
Observer

Hi,

I got the same problem, already with 2018.1.

I am running Xilinx tools on windows 10 PC.

Unfortunately not only the SDK crash - Vivado too.

Please your support to solve this!!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I have further "empirical" evidence that, on my system, the "quiet crashing" of SDK is related to limited Windows memory. 

I run SDK on a Windows 10 x64 VMware virtual machine with only 5 GB RAM.  My laptop has only 8 GB total, so 5 is all I can allocate to the VM.

I had been leaving the Microsoft Edge browser open always so I can Google for help or search the Xilinx Forums.  With that browser open, I get the SDK crashing multiple times in a day and, in some cases, my workspace and project files are irreparably corrupted. 

Fortunately, I backup my projects very regularly and also know how to recreate from scratch if necessary.  And Eclipse workspaces are super easy to abandon and create new ones.

I have now adopted a policy of not letting the web browser be open while I have SDK open.  Not ideal, but the time lost after crashes and corruptions was much more than the time to close one app and open the other. 

KEY INSIGHT:  I had been following the "no browser" policy for a full week with no SDK crashes.  Yesterday, I forgot to close the browser and was running SDK when it crashed for the first time in many days.  And yup, I realized I had left the browser open.

If SDK is crashing due to inability to allocate RAM for something, I can understand that, but it would be nice if it could be more graceful and not corrupt its own project and workspace files.  That may not be exactly what is happening, but this theory fits my observations.

0 Kudos
Observer diqua
Observer

New PC I9-7900X 3.3GHz 10 cores (20 logical cpu), 64 GB DDR. Windows 10x64 version 10.0.17134 Build 17134.

All updates from Microsoft applied.

Same problem with SDK 2018.2 (Vivado 2018.2.2). No problem with SDK 2017.4.1

Waiting for solution from Xilinx I suggest CentOS 7.5 x86_64. I installed on VMware workstation 14 and verified the following tools:

vivado/sdk 2017.4.1

petalinux_2017.4

vivado/sdk 2018.2.2

petalinux 2018.2

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello All,

Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce the problem on Windows 10

For windows 10, while installing the SDK, you can see the supported builds (1709 and 1803). Screenshot is attached. 

If you see any file in your bin directory with hs_err* files, please supply them. We will look into the files to find out the Java crash where it is actually crashing

To know the build of your machine, click on start, type "About your PC" in the search and click on "About your PC" and see the build

Regards,
Raju
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

windows10.png
windows101.png
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

There are a lot of "bin" folders. Which one do you mean ?

I cannot find any hs_err... files.

And here is my WinVersion:

winversion.jpg
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Sorry for the confusion. The bin folder of SDK installation.

Regards,
Raju

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

In the meantime i have searched my computer for a hs_err.. file but there is none.

What i have i a .log file with a lot of entries like this:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.cdt.core 4 0 2018-10-30 14:42:26.340
!MESSAGE Error
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.ConsoleOutputSniffer.processLine(ConsoleOutputSniffer.java:178)
    at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.ConsoleOutputSniffer.access$0(ConsoleOutputSniffer.java:174)
    at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.ConsoleOutputSniffer$ConsoleOutputStream.checkLine(ConsoleOutputSniffer.java:99)
    at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.ConsoleOutputSniffer$ConsoleOutputStream.write(ConsoleOutputSniffer.java:58)
    at java.io.OutputStream.write(OutputStream.java:75)
    at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.ProcessClosure$ReaderThread.run(ProcessClosure.java:57)

Does this help ? ( i can send you the complete log if you want )...

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Please send the log file. 

Regards,
Raju

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Ok here is one of the log's.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Could you please let us know whether you tried the following to avoid this crash problem ?

1. Delete the .Xilinx folder from your c:\users\<yourUserName>\.Xilinx 

2. Launch xsdk.bat from command line (c:\<InstallFolder>\SDK\2018.2\bin\xsdk.bat) and see any errors in the command prompt

Regards,
Raju

0 Kudos