Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giapage
Observer
Observer

Xilinx XPS for MacOS?

Hello.

Is there any version of Xilinx XPS for MacOS?

I'm currently using XPS 8.2i for Windows. Will it be compatible?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bassman59
Historian
Historian

giapage wrote:

Hello.

Is there any version of Xilinx XPS for MacOS?

I'm currently using XPS 8.2i for Windows. Will it be compatible?

Thanks

No, there is no Xilinx for Mac OS X. You would think that porting it over to OS X would be rather straightforward, since everything is actually Unix-based (the Windows stuff is all cygwin and java), and OS X has has X Window support since the beginning.

But, then again, it took Xilinx AGES to support Linux, even though they were supporting AIX and HP-UX long after those platforms were dead.

I would LOVE to see the Xilinx tools run on OS X.

Then again, I would LOVE to see them fix the existing bugs.

-a

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
giapage
Observer
Observer

I'm sad to see that there is not Mac OS support but i will manage installing Windows XP virtual machine or in a separate partition (worse case!).

In case that i will run Windows Xp on "Parallel" i guess that the programming cable to download the bistream into the FPGA will not work: isn't it??

Thanks

0 Kudos
morphiend
Explorer
Explorer

Another possible option is using Wine under MacOS X: Darwine. http://www.winehq.org

You probably won't be able to use the JTAG cables under that platform because of the drivers, but it could get you closer to using "straight" MacOS.
0 Kudos
xmelters

Hello,

I can inform you that I had some succes using the USB programming adaptor under Parallels Desktop.

I have been using ISE software under Parallels on my MacBook Pro for a while now.

Earlier versions of Parallels did sort-of work, but were v-e-r-y  - s-l-o-w when using the programming cable.

This was probably something to do with the USB device changing personalities a few times ...

Anyway, the point is that the USB cable DOES work under a virtual machine on Mac OS/X

YMMV,

0 Kudos
giapage
Observer
Observer

Hey Xmelters,

could you tell me which version precisely did work properly with programming cable for you both for Parallel and Xilinx ISE/EDK?

I will try to get them!

Thanks

0 Kudos
gannonsystems
Visitor
Visitor

giapage,

I'm running ISE Foundation 10.1 sp3 under VMware Fusion 2.0.1 on Vista Home Premium.  Everything works fine.  I have used both Impact and the Digilent USB cable without any issues.  I haven't used Parallels, but I can definitely recommend Fusion.  I have Vista installed using Bootcamp, so I can either boot straight into Windows or run it within OSX with Fusion.  

I recommend turning of all the Windows eye-candy that you can, it really speeds things up with Vista.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

Have a look here: http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/message?board.id=EDK&message.id=4895#M4895

I used Parallels Desktop for windows host OS and then tools version 8.x - 10.x inside windows together with various tools (modelsim, planahead and chipscope).

They all worked okey. There were no problems with jtag cable.

I had to switch to Linux to do more scripting with designs and Parallels had problems with Jtag when Linux was host OS.

It works nice with VMWare.

Greetings, Mariusz.

--
Mariusz Grad.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos