cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leonardooalves
Observer
Observer

ZCU102: How to run C codes on a PL custom processor using Vitis?

Hi, I hope you are well.

I have a synthesizable PL custom processor (not implemented by myself), shown in the picture below. I added a ROM (for boot) and RAM, and a UART16550, mapped with addresses provided on the core files. Afterwards, I generated and exported the hardware with the bitstream and created a Vitis platform using the wrapper.xsa. How can I run C codes to it, and check the outputs in the UART (Hello world for example)?

I think I couldn't create an application project because I am not using any PS from the ZCU102. Also, I could not find documentation or tutorial on how I can run C code on custom processors for Xilinx FPGAs.

Can someone guide or point me to documentation or tutorial of how I can run C codes on a PL custom processor, or use it to blink LEDs?

Thank you in advance.

PLcustomProcessor.png
0 Kudos
6 Replies
bartokon
Explorer
Explorer

As far as I know, you have created some hardware. So, how you could to program it?

Via Vivado ready bitstream with some ROM memory? 

Using  JTAG external ports to softcore processor?

Via AXI interface from ZCU PS to softcore processor?

There is no easy way as using ready tools until you have some standard instruction set processor and program .elf to ROM.

0 Kudos
leonardooalves
Observer
Observer

Thank you very much for your reply.

This custom processor, called Flute, is RISC-V based. I have the .coe and .elf files for a few examples, such as Hello world, generated for a different processor, called Potato, also RISC-V based. I modified the .elf file generator of potato to match the address space of Flute. Therefore, I load the .coe in the ROM, and I also add the .elf in the Vivado project (which is usually ignored when generating the bitstream, I am not sure why). But, still, I can't see anything in the serial terminal (After downloading the .bit file to the FPGA).

However, I haven't thought about connecting this processor to the FPGA softcore processor to be able to use it. Do you think that would be the only approach? Because, in the end, I won't be able to have the softcore as part of the project. 

0 Kudos
bartokon
Explorer
Explorer

Why can't you use ZYNQ to program IP cores via AXI4? IMO it is the easiest way.

Second option add some external memory like SD-CARD (NON-Volatile) and read it from RISC-V.

ZYNQ = Hard Procesor -> you have one on zcu. And interconnect wouldn't cost many resources.

Microblaze = Soft Procesor -> I don't think this is good idea.

Third way use JTAG ports to your RISC-V and program it normally via some programmer

0 Kudos
leonardooalves
Observer
Observer

I want to avoid using the ZYNQ processor to have a final design that can be implemented in different Xilinx FPGAs. Therefore, using the PL resources only would be ideal.

I like the SD Card and JTAG ideas. Is there a JTAG programmer you would recommend?

0 Kudos
Rmccarty
Adventurer
Adventurer

This might be an ignorant question, but don't you need a conpiler and linker for the specific processor you are trying to use?

0 Kudos
leonardooalves
Observer
Observer

That is a completely valid question. I am a beginner, so maybe I am doing something wrong. I am using the Potato RISC-V linker and compiler to generate .bin, .coe, .elf, and .ld files. Then I add the .coe (in the ROM BRAM) and .elf in Vivado. But it does not work.
0 Kudos