UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

a SW problem when accessing th RAM

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a problem when I try to write some data to my DDR3 RAM.  I can write a value on a specific address (eg RAM[10] = 0x23), but when I write a entire region, it freeze after a while (eg RAM[counter] = 0x23).

I tried to change the heap and stack, but didn't help.I changed the max value of "teller2" into something realy low, to test if I don't get out of bound ....  but it always hangs at the end (I supose when it gets out of the FOR loop).

I also tried different manners to write with pointers or array.

I did write a small piece of code to test the write to the RAM ... and it acted also strange for higher values (see code at the bottom)

Is there a typical error that I make in my code ,  or how could I trace the error or the reason.

(I never used the debig function,  ... could this help and is it easy to use ... it looks like you need a localhost ... ?)

Thx!

The actual code is nested in successive "IF" statements and looks like:

u8 * memRamNIP = BASEADDR_DDR3;

u8* mem = &memRamNIP;
    for (teller2 = 0; teller2 < dataLengthParse; teller2++ )
    {
       xil_printf("%c", EBuf[GetDataPointer() + teller2]);
       memRamNIP[teller2]=5;  //This is not ok Freezes when reached teller2 = dataLengthParse

// memRamNIP[100]=5;    This is OK

}

The Code for testing:

It works for X max = 2000 ... , but when I use 10.000 ... it only puts END on the screen

while(1)

{

xil_printf("START ...");
       u32 x;
       for(x=0 ; x < 10000;x++)
       {
          memRam[x] = 5;
       }    
        xil_printf("END ...");

}

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: a SW problem when accessing th RAM

Jump to solution

OK,

The problem was a wrong adressing. 

u8 * memRamNIP = BASEADDR_DDR3;  That address pointed not to the DDR3 RAM, but to the CTRL_DDR3 wich is sowhere 0XFFFFFF instead of 0x5000...

Hence when writing to that adress and the next folowwing  bytes (which is 0x0000) ... I wrote in the BRAM (where the SW resides)  and made the program crash.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: a SW problem when accessing th RAM

Jump to solution

OK,

The problem was a wrong adressing. 

u8 * memRamNIP = BASEADDR_DDR3;  That address pointed not to the DDR3 RAM, but to the CTRL_DDR3 wich is sowhere 0XFFFFFF instead of 0x5000...

Hence when writing to that adress and the next folowwing  bytes (which is 0x0000) ... I wrote in the BRAM (where the SW resides)  and made the program crash.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos