Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

an OS for microblaze

Jump to solution
i work on spartan 3 and i fixed a microblaze i think 4.0. now i need a suggest for an os the most popular or the most adequate with. 

i am new with OS so please don't be hard with your choice and i hope it will be given with an appropriate doc.

thx and have nice day. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the Xilinx kernel would be interessting for you. This kernel is just a library you have to add to your design and is free to use (if you have the Xilinx EDK). Thus it is small and adaptable to your purpose. It is POSIX like and supports multi-threading too. For some more basic introduction you should take a look at the Support section of the Xilinx page, both for getting started with Linux on Xilinx boards and for getting started with Xilinx kernel.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
I think Linux and freeRTOS are allready two good examples. For what purpose you need a OS?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

my project consist on commanding a pwm and stepper motor for robot.

could you give me the way how to make the image and download it!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the Xilinx kernel would be interessting for you. This kernel is just a library you have to add to your design and is free to use (if you have the Xilinx EDK). Thus it is small and adaptable to your purpose. It is POSIX like and supports multi-threading too. For some more basic introduction you should take a look at the Support section of the Xilinx page, both for getting started with Linux on Xilinx boards and for getting started with Xilinx kernel.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

i just discuss with my prof and i tell me that freertos will be great if you have a documentation or a tutorial  for install and a starter use.

it well be a big help and thank you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

halas86 wrote:

my project consist on commanding a pwm and stepper motor for robot.

My current design uses a Silicon Labs 8-bit microcontroller to drive a stepper motor and a solenoid. I am not using an operating system. One would be overkill.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
i have to commande 3 pwm and one stepper motor for  an arm robot and i need to make tasks.so i think it would be necessary.????
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Xilkernel should be sufficient.

If you are using MicroBlaze v4.0, you don't have many choices anyway, since it has no MMU.

-Felix

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
So you think i cannot use freertos??? 
and please some help how to write in the xilkernel  and how to make the image and download it to board ??
thx 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This page could be helpful for you to start with xilkernel, http://www.xilinx.com/ise/embedded/edk_examples.htm

-Felix

0 Kudos