Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

batterie to supply voltage to a Spartan 3-E board

hi,

i want to mount the Spartan 3-E board into a robot, so i need to know what kind of batteries should i put to supply the board??, i mean a AA batterie, a AAA batterie, a D size batterie??

the adapter that came with the board its output is 5v DC and 2.5 A, there are batteries that provide 1.5 v, but they exists in diferent sizes, what batterie should i use to keep the 5v DC and 2.5 A??

thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

Re: batterie to supply voltage to a Spartan 3-E board

5V at 2.5A is 12.5W.  This is a low of power for a battery application.  I would suggest looking into a lower power solution.  If you insist on using the Spartan 3E development board, however, I would suggest finding the largest batteries that will fit into your robot.  My guess is that the power supply that came with the kit can supply more power than the module actually needs, but even if you need 5V at 1A you're looking at a large battery to keep the robot running for any length of time.  Look at the ampere-hour rating of the battery to guess at how long the robot can run (divide by the actual amperes used, but remember that the rating involves draining the battery, so you may not be able to use the full rating).  Also be aware that batteries are not regulated 5V supplies, so you may need some sort of switching pre-regulator for the board.  Another way to look at your problem is that you're trying to power up the equivalent of a notebook computer.  See what these use for batteries and charging / power supply circuits.

Good luck,
Gabor
-- Gabor
0 Kudos