UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

cannot select elf in sdk during program FPGA

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a zedboard project, but I cannot associate *.elf to initialize the BRAMs.

image.png

I can program the FPGA with the native (no elf) bitstream, then I can run the code with System debugger. (So I have no fundamental compiling issue.)

image.png

Here is a snippet from my linker script. (all region assigned to axi_bram_ctrl_0_Mem0 memory region, which is an accessible region.)

image.png

What should I check/do to associate and run my code with Program FPGA option?

UPDATE!

I have realized that the main issue is that the Program FPGA menu cannot find the processors. And therefore it cannot associate any bitstream to it. But the question is still open: Why do Program FPGA cannot find the the ARM CPUs?

I use:

• Win10
  • Vivado/SDK 2017.4
  • Zedboard, with custom image.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: cannot select elf in sdk during program FPGA

Jump to solution

Hi,

Associating elf to BRAM is applicable only for MB processors. ARM cores always boot FSBL from OCM, which in turn loads your application. Refer to Zynq SW developer's guide for more details about boot flows

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug821-zynq-7000-swdev.pdf

2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @betontalpfa

Not sure why the GUI window does not allow you to initialize the BRAM memory with the ELF file but I don't understand your statement about "cannot find the processors". I mean SDK requires at least a processor in the hardware platform project to create an application so the HDF must have a processor inside.

Regarding workarounds you can do the following:

1. Associate the ELF file within Vivado so the bitstream generated contains already the initialized BRAM

2. Run updatemem manually so you generate the new bitstream

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Associating elf to BRAM is applicable only for MB processors. ARM cores always boot FSBL from OCM, which in turn loads your application. Refer to Zynq SW developer's guide for more details about boot flows

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug821-zynq-7000-swdev.pdf