UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer zineb
Observer

designing architecture in EDK

Jump to solution

hi,

in my project I'm working on the implementation of an architecture that contains a microblaze or more, a memory...
the problem is that this architecture was designed in EDK by using the OPB bus, whereas when I wanted to create it in the EDK again, it gives me the choice between two buses the AXI and the PLB.
please what can I do? is the OPB bus has to be created in the EDK or what?
I'll be thankful for your answers 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mentor hgleamon1
Mentor

Re: designing architecture in EDK

Jump to solution

Your question about energy (I'm guessing if you are using XPE you really mean power consumption) is not related to your original query. You should accept an answer and close this thread.

You should also do some searches related to using XPE, here is the Xilinx document UG440 on the subject -> XPE UG440

If you still have questions then come back and start a new thread.

----------
"That which we must learn to do, we learn by doing." - Aristotle
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

What is a "OPD bus"?

Never heard of that bus being supported by Xilinx Tools.

Search comes up empty.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Embedded designs have moved away from using the OPB and PLB and now use AXI interfaces.

The simplest solution is to use an older version of EDK. Or, as a minimum, grab a copy of the OPB peripherals, bridge, bus, etc from an older version of EDK and place the copies in your pcores directory.

I just took a look at EDK 14.7, and I do see opb_v20_v1_10_d, plbv46_opb_bridge_v1_01_a. So if you have custom opb peripherals, you can use the bridge. And if you are using some old Xilinx provided opb peripherals such as uartlite, I suggest you use the newer xps_uartlite.

0 Kudos
Mentor hgleamon1
Mentor

Jump to solution

OPB, Austin. Certainly supported by Xilinx previously -> opb_bus_structure

@zineb OPB is really old and totally surpassed by AXI (well, PLB as well but AXI is almost the embedded standard, now). My recommendation would be, if you have the time and know-how, replace (or even redesign) your design using AXI instead. If this is not possible you may be able to use a bridge (PLB, probably) to connect internally to the old OPB design, i.e. you have two bus structures  - a new one that bridges to your old design.

----------
0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

OK,

Bask in the ISE early days...

As mentioned, convert to AXI.  It will be worth it moving forward, as AXI is the standard now for all generations since 28nm onward.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Observer zineb
Observer

Jump to solution

hi,

thanks for reply,i do think so that the solution is to replace it with the AXI bus

thanks again :) 

0 Kudos
Observer zineb
Observer

Jump to solution

hi,

i designed my architecture with the AXI bus in the EDK as u told me for the last time, and everything was going right :)

my question now is there any method to estimate the energy consummed by this architecture?

i tried to download the sheet of the XPE tool but i don't know how does it work!!!

should i importe my design from the EDK to the XPE or what?

i'll be so thankful for ur helps

0 Kudos
Mentor hgleamon1
Mentor

Jump to solution

Your question about energy (I'm guessing if you are using XPE you really mean power consumption) is not related to your original query. You should accept an answer and close this thread.

You should also do some searches related to using XPE, here is the Xilinx document UG440 on the subject -> XPE UG440

If you still have questions then come back and start a new thread.

----------
0 Kudos