cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lilongguang
Observer
Observer

.elf download

when I use the SDK to generate the application .elf file.What should I do the next:? How should I do to use it to download it to the FPGA. or do I need to merge it with the .bit file generated in the xps to gernerate a new .bit file to downloade the FPGA.I use the ISE 13.1 .my board is Sparant 3E starter kit board
0 Kudos
5 Replies
maxman
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi

If you used BSB I assume you have BRAM in your system.If BRAM size enough to store your application, your can simply marge .elf with .bit files.After device configuration your program instruction executes.If your code bigger then BRAM size, you should merge .bit. with bootloader elf andload your application through SDK to NOR flash.After device configuration bootloader read your application from NOR and store in external SRAM (so you need propper extrernal memory controller for SRAM) then your program starts execute from SRAM. 

Max

0 Kudos
lilongguang
Observer
Observer

".If your code bigger then BRAM size, you should merge .bit. with bootloader elf andload your application through SDK to NOR flash." What this means?Do I need to writ the bootloader program in order to make the program in the flash can be read. or just use the bootloop.then program flash with my application.
0 Kudos
maxman
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi
You don't need  write bootloader.
When you load image through SDK, mark check box create bootloader. After that, build bootloader application to get executable.elf bootloader file.

max

0 Kudos
lilongguang
Observer
Observer

Can you be a little more concret? How to mark check box create bootloader?In the SDK only two ways to download my application.Program FPGA or Progran flash .I just don't know how to download my .elf correctly?
0 Kudos
maxman
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi!

Feel free to use search on xilinx web site by key words such "create bootloader".
Such questions have been discussed here.

Check XAPP963. 

max

0 Kudos