UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer zrh0913
Observer

issues with rs232 interrupt mode

Jump to solution

Hi, all,

Thank you for answering my previous questions, now, I am going very well with FPGA-based controller design. 

But with one question,  I think the interrupt mode allow RS232 send/ receive data more than 16 bytes, why I can not do it, I set the sendbuffer to 18 bytes, but still just 16bytes sent out.

Any other setting?

Best Regards,

Roy from UK

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: issues with rs232 interrupt mode

Jump to solution

zrh0913 wrote:

Hi, all,

Thank you for answering my previous questions, now, I am going very well with FPGA-based controller design. 

But with one question,  I think the interrupt mode allow RS232 send/ receive data more than 16 bytes, why I can not do it, I set the sendbuffer to 18 bytes, but still just 16bytes sent out.

Any other setting?

Best Regards,

Roy from UK

Not knowing anything else about your design, it's possible that your UART core has a 16-byte outgoing-data FIFO. You must ensure that you don't try to write to a full FIFO.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Visitor cems
Visitor

Jump to solution

RS232 protocol (UART) works on multiples of 8 bits i think. Try to change the number of data bits property of the RS232 IP. If 6 data bits is allowed your problem can be solved.

Take care.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

zrh0913 wrote:

Hi, all,

Any other setting?

Best Regards,

Roy from UK

Not knowing anything else about your design, it's possible that your UART core has a 16-byte outgoing-data FIFO. You must ensure that you don't try to write to a full FIFO.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

cems wrote:

RS232 protocol (UART) works on multiples of 8 bits i think. Try to change the number of data bits property of the RS232 IP. If 6 data bits is allowed your problem can be solved.

Take care.

Huh? This is ridiculous.

0 Kudos
Observer zrh0913
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply, It because the Uart FIFO is 16 Bytes. But to send 16 Bytes in 1ms seems a bit difficult based on my test. The communication is between MATLAB/SIMULINK and FPGA, probably, the data transsmision slow is caused by my simulink RS232 blocks.

Now, i changed to use UDP,  I need to send 40 Bytes data in 1 ms, hope UDP can help me achieve that.

0 Kudos