UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

microblaze spi flash bootloader

Jump to solution

Hello,

I would like to ask if there is any tutorial/documents describing how to create bootloader for microblaze.

From past experience, we once created mcs (which was composed of .bin and .elf) and then programed it into the spi flash.

But I see from here and there, that xilinx advocate another approach of creating srec bootloader, which load the elf from flash. Am I right about these 2 approaches ?

Is there a tutorial on this issue ?

Thank you,

Ran

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar sampatd
Scholar

Re: microblaze spi flash bootloader

Jump to solution
You do not need to change anything in SREC apart from the blconfig.h file where you need to mention the offset at which your application in srec format will reside. While programming the flash with this application you need to specify the same offset.

The application will execute from the memory as specified in its linker script settings.
There is a known issue with SPI SREC on Artix boards. Please check the ar below:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/64238.html
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

One more.

I am using DDR not SRAM. Does it also make any difference for this issue ?

Regards,

Ran

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar sampatd
Scholar

Jump to solution

Starting 2015.1, SDK provides an SPI SREC bootloader application template that you can directly use.

Here are the steps in brief:

1. Create your software application e.g., test.elf. Make sure linker script is set to DDR.
2. Convert this application to srec format using mb-objcopy
3. Create SPI SREC application from the application template
4. Set the offset address in blconfig.h
5. Update the bitstream with the bootloader application
6. Program the flash using program flash option in sdk.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/63605.html 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

You should use srec bootloader to do this. Please refer to http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/63605.html

You can use ddr as well.

Btw, which device are you using? If it is a 7 series or later device we have a simplified procedure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I am using ARTIX-7 and microblaze.

The DDR is seen as BRAM in the hw platform.

So I guess it should be acted as regular BRAM for the case of bootloader.

I mean, I don't need to configure the srec for DDR, Right ?

Regards,

Ran

0 Kudos
Scholar sampatd
Scholar

Jump to solution
You do not need to change anything in SREC apart from the blconfig.h file where you need to mention the offset at which your application in srec format will reside. While programming the flash with this application you need to specify the same offset.

The application will execute from the memory as specified in its linker script settings.
There is a known issue with SPI SREC on Artix boards. Please check the ar below:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/64238.html
0 Kudos