cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alabarge

ngdbuild FATAL_ERROR:GuiUtilities:Gq_Application.c:590:1.20

Jump to solution

Using XPS 10.1sp1, having selected "Hardware=>Generate Bitstream", the XPS IDE locks-up with the following message:

"FATAL_ERROR:GuiUtilities:Gq_Application.c:590:1.20..." in a Dialog box and XPS no longer responds, the error is intermittant, sometimes

ngdbuild runs to completion without incident. Has anyone else seen this error? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I also suffer from this but I have found the following at least reduces it

1. copy the EDK make file (i.e "yourprojname".make) giving it a new name (keep it in the same dir)

2. edit the make file copy and change the lines 

@xflow -wd implementation -p $(DEVICE) -implement xflow.opt $(SYSTEM).ngc

and 

@cd implementation; bitgen -w -f bitgen.ut $(SYSTEM)

to

@xflow -wd implementation -p $(DEVICE) -implement xflow.opt $(SYSTEM).ngc >> $(SYSTEM)_build.log

@cd implementation; bitgen -w -f bitgen.ut $(SYSTEM)  >> $(SYSTEM)_build.log

after the lines

@echo "*********************************************"
    @echo "Running Xilinx Implementation tools.."
    @cp -f $(UCF_FILE) implementation/$(SYSTEM).ucf

add
    @rm -f $(SYSTEM)_build.log

3. In the EDK GUI under Project/project options set the edited make as the custom make file to use.

The effect of this is to redirect the log output from the build to a file and not into the EDK gui transcript window. The dissadvantage

is you now can't see the build progress (open the log file "$(SYSTEM)_build.log" in a "good"  editior to follow it) and if

you do changes to the proj i.e. add a new Proj software app the make file will be out of date (i.e. you have to do the above again using the EDK generated make file, I supose it is possible to write a make the edits the EDK generated make etc... but thats a lot of work)

Overall its better then having the build crash 2 hours into the build and having to re-do/re_do.....

I also seen the fatal crash during sim gen so the method may also work on the make files sim gen sections but I've not tried that. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have. Frequently. Whenever I get that error, I:

1) Shutdown the SDK (if it is open) and EDK.

2) Reboot the computer.

3) Cross my fingers and try again.

More often than not, the Bitstream builds properly the second time around. It has been known to take up to three attempts though. With each build taking about 1.5 hours each it can make for a VERY...boring.....day.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh and I run 9.2.0.2i so apparently it is still present in 10.1.0.1. Bummer.
0 Kudos

I also suffer from this but I have found the following at least reduces it

1. copy the EDK make file (i.e "yourprojname".make) giving it a new name (keep it in the same dir)

2. edit the make file copy and change the lines 

@xflow -wd implementation -p $(DEVICE) -implement xflow.opt $(SYSTEM).ngc

and 

@cd implementation; bitgen -w -f bitgen.ut $(SYSTEM)

to

@xflow -wd implementation -p $(DEVICE) -implement xflow.opt $(SYSTEM).ngc >> $(SYSTEM)_build.log

@cd implementation; bitgen -w -f bitgen.ut $(SYSTEM)  >> $(SYSTEM)_build.log

after the lines

@echo "Running Xilinx Implementation tools.."
    @cp -f $(UCF_FILE) implementation/$(SYSTEM).ucf

add
    @rm -f $(SYSTEM)_build.log

3. In the EDK GUI under Project/project options set the edited make as the custom make file to use.

The effect of this is to redirect the log output from the build to a file and not into the EDK gui transcript window. The dissadvantage

is you now can't see the build progress (open the log file "$(SYSTEM)_build.log" in a "good"  editior to follow it) and if

you do changes to the proj i.e. add a new Proj software app the make file will be out of date (i.e. you have to do the above again using the EDK generated make file, I supose it is possible to write a make the edits the EDK generated make etc... but thats a lot of work)

Overall its better then having the build crash 2 hours into the build and having to re-do/re_do.....

I also seen the fatal crash during sim gen so the method may also work on the make files sim gen sections but I've not tried that. 

View solution in original post

alabarge
Thanks, it's a reasonable workaround!
0 Kudos