UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor pythoner6
Visitor

petalinux-config -c kernel No rule to make target 'menuconfig'

I recently have been trying to setup a simple system using my microzed board, and have been trying to reconfigure the petalinux kernel to enable the CAN drivers. However, whenever I try to run

petalinux-config -c kernel

things seem to work fine, but eventually it opens a separate terminal that says

make: *** No rule to make target 'menuconfig'.  Stop.
Command failed.
Press any key to continue...

Both petalinux-config and petalinux-config -c rootfs work fine, but I cannot petalinux-config -c kernel to work. I even tried creating a fresh petalinux project to make sure it wasn't something to do with the project I had been using:

petalinux-create -t project -n test --template zynq
cd test
petalinux-config --get-hw-description=<path to exported hardware description>
petalinux-config -c kernel

But this led to the same results.

Has anyone had this issue before, or have any idea how to fix it? I'm using Vivado 2017.2 and Petalinux 2017.2

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Visitor pythoner6
Visitor

Re: petalinux-config -c kernel No rule to make target 'menuconfig'

As a note, I just installed Vivado 2017.3 and PetaLinux 2017.3, created a very simple hardware description, created a new petalinux project and ran into exactly the same problem.

0 Kudos

Hi @pythoner6,

What shell are you using? Make sure you are using bash.

Also make sure you followed all the Installation Requirements from UG1144. Make sure all the required packages are installed

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Visitor pythoner6
Visitor

Yes, I am using bash, and running on Ubuntu 16.04  (64-bit). I believe that I have installed all the listed prerequisites in the user guide, though there are a few packages that I have more recent versions of than listed; for instance I have gcc 5.4, not 4.8 and make 4.1 instead of 3.81. Is it possible that this is causing the problem?

That being said, I'm assuming that the issue is probably something to do with my system because I'm running into the issue even with a fresh install of vivado and petalinux and using one of the provided BSPs to create a project.

I've been trying to find any relevant logs to get more information about what is really going on, but I haven't been able to find anything useful yet and the verbose flag for petalinux-config doesn't really seem to give any extra output.

0 Kudos
Visitor pythoner6
Visitor

To confirm my hypothesis that it was something specific about my computer, I setup a new Ubuntu 16.04 vm, installed the prerequisites, setup the petalinux tools and downloaded one of the provided bsps. In the vm, I was able to successfully get petalinux-config -c kenel working, so it does seem that it is something specific about my environment. I'll have to do some further digging like checking differences in package versions, but if anyone has any advice about where to find useful log files or a way to get more verbose output about what's going on on the machine where it's broken, that would be great.
0 Kudos