UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor sunmoon007
Visitor

qeustion about bootloader

I am using the spartan-3e start board.  I intend to put the application in the external flash memory . After download the code into Flash successfully, I download the bootloader which is

created by EDK into FPGA, by selecting the mark to initialize brams .

And then the hyperterminal terminal display as follow :

EDK Bootloader:

Bootloader: Processed (0x)0000a8f2 S-records

The number  "0000a8f2 "  keeps increasing,  except that nothing happens. I am so confused .  Could some kind soul help me ?

Thank you very much !!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: qeustion about bootloader

Hi,

Maybe check your bitgen.ut file (from the project -> project files menu).  There is a line "-g StartUpClk:JTAGCLK".  You may need to change this to  :CCLK so as your CPU runs after reset.

I think this one got me too.  The bootloader programs the FLASH fine, but you'll need to tell it where to get its clock source from.

Cheers

Lachlan.

Lachlan Grogan
CEO, SIL3 Pty Ltd
Melbourne, Australia
http://sil3.com.au
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I think this is not a bitgen issue because the bootloader is running now.

May I know how large your elf or srec file is?

The file copy process need some time and the print process also takes some time.

You can try to find a "define" in the bootloader source code to turn off the detailed print info and check whether that can help to speed up the copy. 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

On an AT49BV322 (i think) from memory, it takes 64 seconds alone to erase the memory before writing to it.

rickysu was also very correct, the printf process takes ages (especially at 9600 baud).  If possible do it every 10 or every 100 recs.

Lachlan.

Lachlan Grogan
CEO, SIL3 Pty Ltd
Melbourne, Australia
http://sil3.com.au
0 Kudos
Visitor sunmoon007
Visitor

It is so kind of you, thanks again.  I solved the problem,  I change the memory of bootloader code to th DDR , Then it works.  But before it works I have to download the bootloader code with XMD Debugger.  Now how i can download the code automaticly?(without the XMD)

0 Kudos