UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor hkxforce
Visitor

"Update Bitstream" stop at xflow without error

Hi everyone.  I'm trying to build a basic PPC core for Memec Virtex-4 FX12 LC Evaluation Board, brought from Avnet.  I download the XBD files, and tries to build a bitstream with the basic memory test and peripheral test application.  But when I run "Device Configuration -> Update Bitstream", the program keep loading endlessly at xflow, and doesn't return any error or warning.

=======================================================================

Running Xilinx Implementation tools..

xflow -wd implementation -p xc4vfx12ff668-10 -implement xflow.opt system.ngc

Release 9.1.02i - Xflow J.33
Copyright (c) 1995-2007 Xilinx, Inc.  All rights reserved.
xflow.exe -wd implementation -p xc4vfx12ff668-10 -implement xflow.opt system.ngc

Using Flow File: C:/FYP_04717554/XPS_test/implementation/fpga.flw
Using Option File(s):
 C:/FYP_04717554/XPS_test/implementation/xflow.opt

=======================================================================

But when I check my task manager, xflow.exe stay at 0% occupation of CPU resources, also do xbash.exe and xpsgui.exe.  I've tried to wait overnight, but there is no progress.  Seems that they all just idling.  What can I do?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: "Update Bitstream" stop at xflow without error

Hi,

This is definitely not an expected behavior. And usually multiple CygWin on the machine will cause interesting behaviors. I'm not sure if this is one of those, but it could be a good thing to check.

Perhaps you can also try to run the make file (system.make) from the EDK shell. But I'm not sure if this will make a difference since the XPS GUI invokdes the same make command as well.

-XF
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor hkxforce
Visitor

There are no other cygwin installed in the machine, just the one build-in in XPS.  I've tried to run the make file from EDK shell, but the result is the same.  When I use Ctrl-C to terminate the xflow, here is the error message:

ERROR:Xflow:1 - Line    1: parse error '' unexpected.
make: *** [implementation/system.bit] Error 5

Seems that the Xflow program trapped at line 1, i.e. program not started?

Actually I am experiencing this problem in two computer.  I was using a slower computer (1.6GHz) and thought it is the processing speed problem, and moved to a 3.2GHz yesterday, but the same situation occur.  Will it be the problem of user account?  My user account is not the default account that comes with Windows, it's created after installation.  But it has computer administrator access right, which should has full control over computer resources.

Any ideas?

Message Edited by hkxforce on 12-04-2007 10:42 PM
0 Kudos
Visitor hkxforce
Visitor

Problem solved - save the project in thumb drive.

Seems that it is really access right problem.

(I think of this solution because when I used EDK 8.2i in the old computer, it gives folder access right error, which can be solved by not putting the project in C drive.)
Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

Is there any spaces in your project path?
It  occured to me that ISE/EDK said I have no write privilege to my desktop folders.
0 Kudos

I am experiencing a similar problem while running any process in the EDK 9.1. In the status window I get :

xbash -q -c "cd /cygdrive/f/Tushar/v2p/; /usr/bin/make -f system.make libs; exit;" started...

then there is no progress for hours even though  the rotating circle in the corner says process is running.

I tried running it from a thumb drive as mentioned in the earlier post but to no avail.

Kindly suggest something

Thanks

Tushar 

0 Kudos
Newbie xlog

It seems some files in implementation folder don't have sufficient permissions (in my case .ucf and xflow.opt), everything works fine after setting full controll for current user.
0 Kudos

I later figured that in my address path to the project folder, one of the folders had a space in its name.

I renamed the folder and it worked!

Thanks

Tushar

0 Kudos
Visitor mikeyoung
Visitor

I had the identical problem recently when I had to revive an old ISE 11.1 to make some small project changes.

umask 000 -- create files by default with absolutely no permissions to anyone -- is the default apparently somewhere in that Cygwin distribution. Or something changed it in the years in between.

Solve the immediate problem with `chmod 644 implementation/*`. Fix it by setting umask 644 (owner read/write, everyone else has read permission).

I started this 5 minute change 16 hours ago. Someone owes me lunch.

0 Kudos