UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor grinaldi
Visitor

simulating "hello world" on a atlys board from external memory

Hello,

I am new to the forum and to Xilinx.

I have an atlys board, and I am trying to simulate (using Cadence IES) one of the example ("hello world")

loading the program on the external DDR2 memory. I am using EDK and SDK 14.7 which support spartan-6.

I am having trouble to initialize the memory at startup using the verilog readmemh() command. My problem

is to generate the correct .mem format. I could only find an application note XAPP1108 that shows how to do it,

but they have a different memory arrengment and Xilinx part; also it uses 2 scripts (edit_mem.pl and edit_mem_s.pl) to postprocess the .mem coming out from the data2mem. 

Here are the steps I have done so far:

1- Create the .elf file from the SDK using the linker to map the program into the DDR2 address. I can see in the generated elf that the address are correct.

2- updated the .bmm file with the external DDR2 memory map (I kept the 4 BRAM because of the first jump instruction to the external DDR2 space):

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ADDRESS_MAP microblaze_0 MICROBLAZE-LE 100
ADDRESS_SPACE microblaze_0_bram_block_combined COMBINED [0x00000000:0x00001fff]
ADDRESS_RANGE RAMB16
BUS_BLOCK
microblaze_0_bram_block/microblaze_0_bram_block/ramb16bwer_0 [31:24] INPUT = microblaze_0_bram_block_combined_0.mem ;
microblaze_0_bram_block/microblaze_0_bram_block/ramb16bwer_1 [23:16] INPUT = microblaze_0_bram_block_combined_1.mem ;
microblaze_0_bram_block/microblaze_0_bram_block/ramb16bwer_2 [15:8] INPUT = microblaze_0_bram_block_combined_2.mem ;
microblaze_0_bram_block/microblaze_0_bram_block/ramb16bwer_3 [7:0] INPUT = microblaze_0_bram_block_combined_3.mem ;
END_BUS_BLOCK;
END_ADDRESS_RANGE;
END_ADDRESS_SPACE;
END_ADDRESS_MAP;

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// DDR2 Memory Address Space (128MB)
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ADDRESS_BLOCK DDR2_memory MEMORY [0xC0000000:0xCFFFFFFF]
BUS_BLOCK
system_tb/inst_ddr_01 [15:8] OUTPUT = ddr2_1.mem;
system_tb/inst_ddr_00 [7:0] OUTPUT = ddr2_0.mem;
END_BUS_BLOCK;
END_ADDRESS_BLOCK;

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

3- I run the data2mem to generate the .mem:

data2mem -bm system_sim_ext_mem.bmm -bd ./hello_word2.elf -bx ./ -p "xc6slx45csg324-3"

4- I got the 4 bram .mem files and the 2 ddr2 .mem files

5- I try to load the .mem in the test_bench but the simulation doesn't do anything ... the UART output doesn't move after 2ms:

$readmemh("ddr2_1.mem",system_tb.inst_ddr_01.memory);
$readmemh("ddr2_0.mem",system_tb.inst_ddr_00.memory);

6- I try also to run the 2 scripts from the other project with the same results. I am not sure what those 2 scripts do.

7- If I generate the elf with the linker pointing to the internal BMEM only the simulation works as expected.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Giacomo

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar stephenm
Scholar

Re: simulating "hello world" on a atlys board from external memory

Hey, I created an AR for this back in 2014.4. this is shown below:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/62910.html

0 Kudos
Visitor grinaldi
Visitor

Re: simulating "hello world" on a atlys board from external memory

Thanks Stephen,

Unfortunately I am stuck on ISE because I have a Spartan 6 Atlys board, but I will try to see if I can leverage

your AR, thanks :).

Giacomo

0 Kudos